Crosby speaks about Letterman snub

Mar 11, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT

Since I know everyone just loves hearing about Sidney Crosby every
day…we’ll share some more!

Crosby has been taking a ton of flak for his decision not to go on
the David Letterman show last week, and I”m among those that a) don’t
really care and b) don’t think it’s that big of a deal to get all worked
up about. He’s in the middle of a season — yes I know it would be good
for the NHL — but at the same time he has an obligation to his team.

Yesterday, Crosby
spoke out on the matter.

“I do my best. That’s all I can do,” Crosby said
Wednesday after the Penguins practiced at Southpointe. “It’s not the
first year I’ve dealt with balancing everything. I’ve had that
responsibility for a long time, and I think anybody who knows me well
knows I take that seriously. I do my best with it.

“Everyone’s
not always going to be happy, but I do my best, and I do what I think
is right, and I’ll continue to do that. There’s really nothing I can do
if people disagree with that.”

He also said that he hasn’t been asked to reschedule, and that’s a
shame.

I understand the timeliness factor of having Crosby on
right away, but I’d like to see more hockey players on these shows.
Would it have been nice if Crosby could have done Letterman? Of course,
but I still can’t fault his decision. Maybe we can get some American
hockey players to take his spot. Patrick Kane could go on Oprah. Chris
Drury could go on Jimmy Fallon’s show.

Maybe even have Sean Avery
— even though he’s Canadian — sit down with Dr. Phil.

1. Tapeleg - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Leave Crosby alone! Leave him ALONE!

2. Mick - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:22 AM

If “the Kid” is going to be the face of hockey, he needs to step it up. The Olympics gave the game a little more attention (which it needed), so run with it. I’m not a Crosby fan but would have the same criticism about any high profile player not promoting their sport. Hockey lost so much momentum after the strike and has never recovered. This was a golden opportunity lost!

3. Paul - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Let me see if I got this right. Crosby is being criticized for avoiding media exposure and instead practicing with his teammates?
    Wow. What an Orwellian world we live in. I remember when athletes were criticized for making the opposite choice.

4. Ovechin - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Crosby is a diving lameass. He is not even the best player on his team. Who wants a Canadian celebreating his gold medal on DL anyway. Ovechkin is the face of hoockey, if he get bumped, he does not cry 20x’s a game to the refs. Crosby is a boy, Ovechkin is man. Crosbey is so good? He is a +11 for the season.. so he is good on one side of the ice and does jack crap on the other side. Ovechkin is a +46, hits people and you will neve see him yelling at refs to make a call like cry baby Crosby.

5. MJM - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM

So let me get this straight. Is this about NHL ratings or Letterman’s ratings. Crosby, just like every other professional athlete, has the off season. How come Letterman is only interested in an athlete when they win or do something big. What about Letterman asking an athlete like Crosby, or anyone else, that visit sick children in hospitals, donate money to good causes, etc. to appear on his show. So maybe Letterman should focus more on what the NHL is doing good in society because that is most likely 24×7 – as opposed to Crosby getting the winning goal in a big hockey game!!

6. Hockeyguru - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM

As a Flyer fan no one hates that whining/diving/ goofy smiling/ overbite havin/ little SOB more than me. That being said he is an unbelievable player who will become one of teh greatest of all time. Ovechkin? One difference between the 2….Crosby has a Cup and Gold Medal…our Russian friend has well neither and until he learns that he isnt the only player on the ice capable fo scoring and takes the opressure of himself it wont change.
    Crosby not on Letterman is a good thing….at least I dont have to watch him any more than I have too as a Flyers season ticket holder.
    Aside from those in Canada and Pittsburgh how many peopel watched that goal get past Miller and said” OH NO ANYONE BUT CROSBY”

7. Aquaman - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Given a choice, I’ll take Crosby over Ovechkin any day of the week. Crosby has leadership qualities that Ovechkin can only dream of. Ovechkin worries about how he’ll celebrate goals while Crosby leads his team to a gold medal in the olympics and to a Stanley Cup over my beloved Red Wings. I’m no Crosby fan but he does more for hockey than Ovechkin ever will.

8. Ovechkin - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Crosby has an actual team around him. Ovechikin is pretty much all by himself. You can take him all day. I am a Dallas Stars fan “which compeltely suck btw” but I would take Ovechkin in a heartbeat.. Remember this post when Ovechkin wins the MVP award. If he only had some sort of defense and goaltending.. they would win many cups. Do I even need to mention they are the leading scoring team BY FAR.
    Crosby and leadership? Leaders play both ends of the ice.. not just sit in front of the net.. Go read what a plus minus means and you will understand who is the better player..

9. katy - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Good for Crosby. His reasons seem valid and, maybe, just maybe, he didn’t want to be on a show who’s host is a swarmy adulter and gross basher of a United States President – take your pick: Clinton and/or Bush. Letterman is passe and his routines are predictable and tedious. Crosby can do better than that exposure.

10. Jeff - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yep…+/- certainly is the only and complete stat that shows how well a player plays on both ends.

11. John - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Fail, Crosby is overrated. You have no Hockey IQ at all.

12. Glen S. - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Sidney has been very busy lately.
    Hats off to him for putting his team first…as any good Captain would do.
    Letterman? Who cares!?
    The recent Olympic hockey tourney did more to initiate interest in the game, especially amongst kids, than any talk show ever could. Most hockey players of the future are in bed by the time Letterman comes on.

13. Caps Fan - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM

We all have the players we love to hate – and unfortunately Crosby is the one for most. Kudos to him for staying with his team instead of opting for a media appearance. And YES – I was one of those who jumped up and said “OH NO ANYONE BUT CROSBY.” He is full of hypocrisy on the ice – hypocrisy means “a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.” What’s good for the goose is good for the gander – he doesn’t like on ice celebrations of goals and calls Ovechkin a showboat and yet he does the fist pump with the best of them. And what a whiner! Caps fans celebrated a hat trick and after the game he whined they were over-celebratory and it took much time to clean the ice of hats. Get a grip Crosby! Practice what you preach! You will never be in the same league as Gretzky or Ovechkin!

14. Jennifer - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM

No matter what anyone says.. Crosby is not going to make someone unhappy.
    Should he have gone on a show (Letterman, or anyone else for that matter)? Yes. That would be great publicity for the him and the sport – especially with the Olympics finals, etc. But in reality, he can’t/shouldn’t. And I am not even a Crosby fan. (Although, I am all about the goalies. LOL)
    We all need to remember, that some of the players were away at the Olympics. Players need to get back to their respective teams, focus and start playing hard again. That goes for any professional player for that matter. When the season is over, that is when they should flaunt everything, go on shows, photo ops, etc. Everyone needs to remember.. the Olympics – while exciting to see with all the NHL players in it – messed up the NHL season. End of Story.
    There are more important topics of hockey that can be written about.. why the heck is this one such a big deal? Can we all just move on? :)

15. Steve - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM

LOL i didnt know =/- were important than, Stanley Cups and Gold metals. get a clue its a team game.

16. Mardam - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Grow up.

17. Mardam - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Don’t get me wrong. OV is great. I see him all the time here in DC. He is exciting, a great scorer and a physical presence. But +/-is a relative stat, too. Ovechkin’s is inflated because his line scores so much. Defensively, he is not the player Crosby is. And to the guy who said Ovechkin doesn’t have a team around him. ???WTF, man. Green, Semin, Backstrom, are all among the best right now.
    All things being equal…give me Crosby. And I’ll watch as the Caps (good as they are) fall short again because their ‘system’ is not made for the playoffs.

18. crosby hater - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Total complete frickin Diva cry-baby

19. Hockey Fan - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Have you ever watched a hockey game ? You have no clue what you are talking about. Sid is already the most complete hockey player ever to lace on skates. Yes Ovie is dynamic but one demensional. He plays from the red line up and hasn’t even been introduced ro his goalie. His +/- is because he has far far superior players to play with and doesn’t play in defensive situations. Other than the powerplay, sid is basically playing with 3rd to 4th line wingers. Before you shoot your mouth off again, watch Crosby for a few games and if you are a true hockey fan you won’t write assinine and ignorant comments again

20. Anonymous - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM

You obviously don’t watch much hockey. Don’t know how people can comment with a clear conscience on a subject they know absolutely nothing about. Crosby plays on a line with a 39 year old who is years past his prime and either a 4th line checker like Dupuis or a 3rd line winger like Kunitz while Ovie plays with the likes of Semin and Backstrom. The Caps have at least six wingers who are better than any penguin winger. You don’t have to like someone to admit his abilities. your whole commentary is wrong. Since you have the time why not comment on a sport or issue you actually know about. Man you sound foolish !!!!!!!

21. Hockeyfan - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM

No he wont be in the same league as Gretsky or Ovechkin. He is in a higher league. One shared by only #66 Mario and you could argue that Orr could be the 3rd member. Are you guys all Americans ?

22. F. Joel S. - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Who’s won a Stanley Cup? Gold Medal? Alex or Sid
    Sid is much better at all the little things in hockey. Ovechkin is pure joy to watch. But watch carefully, who is back checking. Who is playing better D over all?
    The answer is the same on all counts.
    Alex has lots of time to keep from becoming Wilt Chamberlain, ro Sid’s Bill Russell.

23. Ovechkin - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Been a season ticket holder for alomst 20 years now.. Malkin is better than Crosby. i have to watch pen games all the time at my local pub because the owner has a hardon for Sid “The Baby” Crosby and from Pitt. Most of you must be penguin fans. He never listens either..

24. Sam - Mar 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

For all the people bashing Crosby, you seem to ignore the fact that Letterman asked him to read the top ten list not be a guest. Just like Rod Blogo the disgraced Illinois Governor who read the list last night on Letterman – so who is snubbing who?

25. chris - Mar 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I’ve seen Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby play live and was amazed by how many times Ovechkin and Malkin cherry picked at the red line while the puck was in their team’s zones. Crosby was the only one playing team defense.
    As for the Crosby vs Ovechkin debate, Ovechkin might be more talented overall but he has a long habit of not showing up for big games. Look World Junior Championships, game 7 of the playoffs, and the Olympics – when the pressure was on and his team needed him the most he was a no-show. Crosby showed up every time. It’s really not even close to a debate.

26. dav - Mar 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

ok…lets settle this once and for all…both go Letterman and compete in Stupid Pet Tricks for bragging rights

27. Tom W. - Mar 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I respect Crosby’s decision. Apparently his ego does not require the limelight.

28. rodk47 - Mar 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Crosby strikes me as a typical “aw shuck”, falsely modest phony. He can’t deal with the fact that Ovechkin is a MUCH better player than he is, and if he really cared about his role as “hockey ambassador” for Canada, he’d get on the Letterman show and all the others. The not so bright people who run the NHL need all the help they can get before their league disappears from lack of interest.

29. Penguin - Mar 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Sid still has the ring. FACT!!!!!!

30. pens_fan88 - Mar 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM

This whole thing is the most ridiculous debate in hockey. It’s such a non issue its not even funny, but I feel the need to defend my favorite player. Any good player would have made the same decision and focused on his team and not late night TV – that is after all what they are paid for, preparing, playing, and performing for their role on the ice as part of their team. I really don’t see such an awful loss to the NHL. This close to the playoffs advertising can wait until the off season, I think all fans can agree our teams need to be focused on the playoff run.
    At some point Crosby is only human, and there are only so many hours in a day. His obligations are first and foremost to his team, particularly when ITS THE MIDDLE OF THE HOCKEY SEASON AND THERE IS A FINAL PUSH TO MAKE TO SECURE A GOOD PLAYOFF STANDING!!! Anyone who is really upset about this is not an actual hockey fan and is looking for another reason to cry about Sidney Crosby being a…. insert your insult of choice here….GET OVER IT IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. The NHL is not going to fall to pieces because Sidney Crosby turned down Letterman.
    And WTF does Ovechkin have to do with Crosby turning down Letterman?
    (the answer is nothing)

31. caseyfromCalgary - Mar 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM

It’s amazing what passes for news these days.

32. Lucifer - Mar 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Your an idiot and clearly don’t know a thing about hockey. Come out of your unreal world and see the truth. Ovi is the best player in the game, and his leadership skills will be self evident win the Caps win the cup in June. Go back to drinking your Kool Aid and shut up the stupid comments. You don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground. I bet your are unemployed, in an unhappy marriage or relationship, and a complete fraud. Moron.

33. Lucifer - Mar 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM

To Aquaman,
    I apologize for the comments I made – I am sorry. I hope that your day goes well, and you can forgive me for being a complete asshole. I have no business commenting on these issues… God Bless’

34. Lucifer - Mar 17, 2010 at 11:37 AM

To Aquaman,
    Just in case my first apology didn’t go through, I apologize for my comments. I am sorry for being a complete ass; I have no business responding to anything in a forum such as this one. I wish you a great day… God Bless’

35. hokiefan - Mar 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Is Crosby Gay ?

36. hokiefan - Mar 27, 2010 at 7:34 PM

is Crosby gay ?

37. Templar - Mar 31, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I’m going to refrain from engaging in insults and the bickering anonymously done behind a computer screen, my old man would call me a coward with too much free time for doing so and in any case, it gets old reading the same old trash coming from those in the brotherhood of hockey.
    I like both Crosby and Ovechkin. They are good for the game and it wouldn’t be the same to not see them chasing each other. They aren’t identical players in their style, that would be boring. They bring different elements to their games and as I said, it is fun to watch them.
    Say what you will, and I respect others opinions, but I think Crosby is more well rounded. I think he has shown to be more of a leader and a clutch skater. People say that he doesn’t play defense but I don’t agree. when I see him play, he shows hustle to get in the play. When it’s all said and done, I’m a Minnesotan, I have to go with the North American.

38. Yooper - Apr 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM

For God’s sake…Datsuyk can skate circles around Cindy. everyone knows that. Crosby is a no class dirty player and the darling of Buttman. He whines more than my cocker spaniel…

39. Dan - Apr 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Having an interview on the show of a jackass is about the highest waste of a person’s time. All he’ll want to do is make his usual stupid comments–I wouldn’t catagorize much that he says could be called humorous or worth a waste of normal people’s time. Sayonara!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches