Mar 11, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
Well, it was a fight all the way down to the wire but the Washington Capitals have pulled off what many thought would be far from an easy accomplishment: winning the Southeast Division title. The division win also gives the Capitals an automatic playoff spot, so that’s another hurdle overcome.
Now we can all just move on; it was a tough battle but the Capitals found a way to pull it off.
I don’t know how big of a win the division crown really is; there’s a good chance that the Capitals are the only team from the Southeast Division to make the playoffs. The East in general has not been a very good conference top to bottom, but the disparity between Washington and the other teams in the conference is a bit jarring.
The Capitals were able to clinch the playoff spot due to the Atlanta Thrashers’ loss to Columbus tonight. The Thrashers are actually fighting for a playoff spot, and the addition of Chris Chelios did little to stop the bleeding from a tough losing streak. Atlanta is having major scoring issues, especially with Evander Kane out, and a loss to Columbus is not exactly a good sign for their chances.
As for Chelios? Well, he was just a guy out there on the ice. He had a bit over nine minutes of ice time, and didn’t really stand out all that much. Chelios hasn’t been much of an offensive threat since Seinfeld was still on the air, so his addition to the roster wasn’t going to spark any more scoring for the Thrashers.
He didn’t appear to have any issues, however, and you would never have been able to tell that he was a 74-year old hockey player making his return to the NHL.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)