Mar 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
I had hoped the Minnesota Wild would have won on Tuesday night. I was
all ready to look up the record for least amount of shots a team has
had in a game it’s won. But I guess when you can only muster 11 shots on
goal in 65 minutes then you deserve to lose.
The Wild were
absolutely hapless against the Florida Panthers, who aren’t exactly
renowned for their defensive prowess this season. In fact, Florida is
allowing the most shots per game than any other team in the NHL. So what
in happened the other night up in Minnesota?
Two of the veterans
on the team, Niklas Backstrom and Andrew Brunette, met after an optional practice yesterday, then
spoke to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune about their mindset:
“Very disappointing. One of the most disappointing,” Backstrom said
Wednesday. “It was a game we must have. We’re fighting for our lives,
and that’s how we play.
“You want to go out there and play your best games of the year. You
always have a chance to be close to your best game, and we were not
close last night.”
What in the world is the thinking behind just having an optional practice the day after such a horrid loss the night before? I understand that the schedule this month is
brutal, but that was a must-win for a team on the playoff spot bubble
and they embarrassed themselves in front of a home crowd. Wouldn’t you want the team right back
out on the ice the next day, trying to figure out what went wrong?
the fact that just nine players showed up to the skate is indicative
enough of what’s gone wrong with the team this season.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11