Mar 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
I had hoped the Minnesota Wild would have won on Tuesday night. I was
all ready to look up the record for least amount of shots a team has
had in a game it’s won. But I guess when you can only muster 11 shots on
goal in 65 minutes then you deserve to lose.
The Wild were
absolutely hapless against the Florida Panthers, who aren’t exactly
renowned for their defensive prowess this season. In fact, Florida is
allowing the most shots per game than any other team in the NHL. So what
in happened the other night up in Minnesota?
Two of the veterans
on the team, Niklas Backstrom and Andrew Brunette, met after an optional practice yesterday, then
spoke to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune about their mindset:
“Very disappointing. One of the most disappointing,” Backstrom said
Wednesday. “It was a game we must have. We’re fighting for our lives,
and that’s how we play.
“You want to go out there and play your best games of the year. You
always have a chance to be close to your best game, and we were not
close last night.”
What in the world is the thinking behind just having an optional practice the day after such a horrid loss the night before? I understand that the schedule this month is
brutal, but that was a must-win for a team on the playoff spot bubble
and they embarrassed themselves in front of a home crowd. Wouldn’t you want the team right back
out on the ice the next day, trying to figure out what went wrong?
the fact that just nine players showed up to the skate is indicative
enough of what’s gone wrong with the team this season.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)