Mar 10, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Bob McKenzie’s story on this week’s GM meetings really stirred my imagination (and probably did the same for other hockey fans). So, today, I’ll break down some of the more interesting ideas that were discussed. Are they realistic? What would be an even better alternative? Are they just dumb?
OK, let’s wrap this up by firing off a few quick opinions about the remaining ideas. Some of them aren’t worth more than a tiny blurb, anyway.
Another idea that was brought up and discussed at length was the idea of a “coach’s challenge,” similar to one that the NFL uses. The idea would be that once and only once in a game, a coach would be able to “throw the flag” and challenge a play to be reviewed by video. Unfortunately it appears that may be too much of a slippery slope and could seriously lengthen games.
Ugh, I’d definitely veto that one. There are times when an NFL challenge can make a game that already has a ridiculous action-to-commercial ratio just agonizing. While hockey could possibly find a “quicker” solution, the sport already reviews questionable goals. That’s good enough for me.
One of the best ideas to come out of the meetings – even if it seems fairly obvious – is the proposal to change the league’s tie-breaker from plain-old wins to wins in regulation. This is an obvious reaction to the random, gimmicky nature of shootouts.
Personally, I’d rather the league either: a) get rid of shootouts altogether or b) make them something that teams would rather avoid. Right now, a weak team can simply try to hold on during overtime and then try their luck in the skills competition. The league doesn’t want to mess with a point system that would place a greater reward for a regulation or overtime win, but that would provide the most accurate depiction of the teams who are truly the cream of the crop.
I’ve also heard about some weird OT format in which half the period is 4-on-4 and the other is 3-on-3, but that just made my brain hurt. I can’t stand it when leagues drastically alter their games during overtime. Keep it simple, GMs.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)