Mar 10, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
We will hopefully find out today or tomorrow on whether Marc Savard’s
season is in jeopardy after suffering a concussion on Sunday, but the
news isn’t looking good. From the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa:
“The only update I’ve had is that today, he’s definitely
not feeling better,” coach Claude Julien said yesterday afternoon.
“It’s been a little hard on him. So obviously it’s a pretty serious
Savard’s symptoms include headaches, fatigue, and
discomfort in his back and neck. The Bruins are expecting their medical
team, including Dr. Robert Cantu, the concussion specialist who treated
Patrice Bergeron’s Grade 3 concussion in 2007-08, to provide a clearer
picture later this week.
I’m guessing that Savard’s concussion is actually sitting right on
the line between Grade 2 and 3. Three days after the hit and he’s still
near-incapacitated at home; logic says that with the end of the season
just weeks away it’s going to be very tough for him to return in time.
Teams and the NHL do not want to rush players back on the ice when he
has a severe head injury, and generally it could take months until
Savard is 100%; anything less and the team is taking too much of a
chance with reinjury.
One interesting part of the play was seeing Patrice Bergeron giving
Matt Cooke an earful as Savard was tended to by medical personnel.
“I was just telling him it was a bad hit,” Bergeron said. “I didn’t
need to tell him that. But I felt he needed to know that. Without seeing
the replay, you know it was a bad hit.”
“It’s tough, losing one of our best players on the team,” Bergeron
said. “It’s tough to take.
“But right now, it’s about his health more than anything else. Now we
need to regroup. It’s not just one guy. Everybody has to bring a little
bit more to the table in order to win.”
I’m guessing he wasn’t telling him in a very nice way.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)