Mar 10, 2010, 11:33 PM EST
Mike Modano had the chance to go the Washington Capitals at the trade
deadline, but turned down the trade to stay with the Dallas Stars. He
has a no trade clause in his contract, and the veteran forward decided
it best to stick with the team he’s been with his entire career.
talked about this a couple of months ago, and we agreed at the time
that if there were teams interested, I would bring the information to
Mike,” Nieuwendyk said. “I did that, and he decided he wanted to
Modano said it would have felt strange to leave the team.
I just couldn’t do it,” he said. “We were in pretty good
shape in the playoff race, and there’s no guarantee with a new team.
I’ve been with this team my whole life and I want to stay with this
According to Heika, the Stars GM said there
were three teams interested and that Mike Modano said one was the
It’s rare these days to see a player stick
with a team for over 20 years, and even more so deciding to stay with them while passing up the chance to join a Stanley Cup contender. But you have to
give credit to Mike, who says that playing for the Cup after being with a
team for just a couple of months wouldn’t have been the same.
has expressed interest in joining the Stars front office after he
retires, and has even mentioned he’d want to be part of an ownership
group that hopes to purchase the Stars this summer.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 0
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)