Mar 10, 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
Mike Modano had the chance to go the Washington Capitals at the trade
deadline, but turned down the trade to stay with the Dallas Stars. He
has a no trade clause in his contract, and the veteran forward decided
it best to stick with the team he’s been with his entire career.
talked about this a couple of months ago, and we agreed at the time
that if there were teams interested, I would bring the information to
Mike,” Nieuwendyk said. “I did that, and he decided he wanted to
Modano said it would have felt strange to leave the team.
I just couldn’t do it,” he said. “We were in pretty good
shape in the playoff race, and there’s no guarantee with a new team.
I’ve been with this team my whole life and I want to stay with this
According to Heika, the Stars GM said there
were three teams interested and that Mike Modano said one was the
It’s rare these days to see a player stick
with a team for over 20 years, and even more so deciding to stay with them while passing up the chance to join a Stanley Cup contender. But you have to
give credit to Mike, who says that playing for the Cup after being with a
team for just a couple of months wouldn’t have been the same.
has expressed interest in joining the Stars front office after he
retires, and has even mentioned he’d want to be part of an ownership
group that hopes to purchase the Stars this summer.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'