Mar 10, 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
Mike Modano had the chance to go the Washington Capitals at the trade
deadline, but turned down the trade to stay with the Dallas Stars. He
has a no trade clause in his contract, and the veteran forward decided
it best to stick with the team he’s been with his entire career.
talked about this a couple of months ago, and we agreed at the time
that if there were teams interested, I would bring the information to
Mike,” Nieuwendyk said. “I did that, and he decided he wanted to
Modano said it would have felt strange to leave the team.
I just couldn’t do it,” he said. “We were in pretty good
shape in the playoff race, and there’s no guarantee with a new team.
I’ve been with this team my whole life and I want to stay with this
According to Heika, the Stars GM said there
were three teams interested and that Mike Modano said one was the
It’s rare these days to see a player stick
with a team for over 20 years, and even more so deciding to stay with them while passing up the chance to join a Stanley Cup contender. But you have to
give credit to Mike, who says that playing for the Cup after being with a
team for just a couple of months wouldn’t have been the same.
has expressed interest in joining the Stars front office after he
retires, and has even mentioned he’d want to be part of an ownership
group that hopes to purchase the Stars this summer.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (48)