Mar 10, 2010, 11:33 PM EST
Mike Modano had the chance to go the Washington Capitals at the trade
deadline, but turned down the trade to stay with the Dallas Stars. He
has a no trade clause in his contract, and the veteran forward decided
it best to stick with the team he’s been with his entire career.
talked about this a couple of months ago, and we agreed at the time
that if there were teams interested, I would bring the information to
Mike,” Nieuwendyk said. “I did that, and he decided he wanted to
Modano said it would have felt strange to leave the team.
I just couldn’t do it,” he said. “We were in pretty good
shape in the playoff race, and there’s no guarantee with a new team.
I’ve been with this team my whole life and I want to stay with this
According to Heika, the Stars GM said there
were three teams interested and that Mike Modano said one was the
It’s rare these days to see a player stick
with a team for over 20 years, and even more so deciding to stay with them while passing up the chance to join a Stanley Cup contender. But you have to
give credit to Mike, who says that playing for the Cup after being with a
team for just a couple of months wouldn’t have been the same.
has expressed interest in joining the Stars front office after he
retires, and has even mentioned he’d want to be part of an ownership
group that hopes to purchase the Stars this summer.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)