Mar 10, 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
Mike Modano had the chance to go the Washington Capitals at the trade
deadline, but turned down the trade to stay with the Dallas Stars. He
has a no trade clause in his contract, and the veteran forward decided
it best to stick with the team he’s been with his entire career.
talked about this a couple of months ago, and we agreed at the time
that if there were teams interested, I would bring the information to
Mike,” Nieuwendyk said. “I did that, and he decided he wanted to
Modano said it would have felt strange to leave the team.
I just couldn’t do it,” he said. “We were in pretty good
shape in the playoff race, and there’s no guarantee with a new team.
I’ve been with this team my whole life and I want to stay with this
According to Heika, the Stars GM said there
were three teams interested and that Mike Modano said one was the
It’s rare these days to see a player stick
with a team for over 20 years, and even more so deciding to stay with them while passing up the chance to join a Stanley Cup contender. But you have to
give credit to Mike, who says that playing for the Cup after being with a
team for just a couple of months wouldn’t have been the same.
has expressed interest in joining the Stars front office after he
retires, and has even mentioned he’d want to be part of an ownership
group that hopes to purchase the Stars this summer.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)