Mar 10, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Bob McKenzie’s story on this week’s GM meetings really stirred my imagination (and probably did the same for other hockey fans). So, today, I’ll break down some of the more interesting ideas that were discussed. Are they realistic? What would be an even better alternative? Or is the idea simply dumb?
First, let’s take a look at possibly the most “light-hearted” idea that came from GM Ray Shero; this is an idea soaked in nostalgia (although for uncoordinated people like me, not all of those memories are fond).
Pittsburgh Penguins’ GM Ray Shero talked about the idea of a change to how the All-Stars are selected. Having two chosen captains “pick” their teams much like how you would in a shinny game.
It isn’t surprising that Shero (or even Washington Capitals GM George McPhee) would concoct such an idea, as it’s pretty obvious he was thinking about scenarios like Team Crosby vs. Team Ovechkin (or even Team Malkin). McKenzie pointed out that there could be hurt feelings (“an axe to grind”) for players left off the team.
That’s a sensible response, but one minor tweak would make this idea brilliant (at least for one All-Star game).
Instead of having captains make the initial selections, keep that system the same. Even though voting controversies can be a headache, it’s still smart to let fans be involved with the process.
Here’s what I’d change, then: instead of having them pick who goes to the All-Star game, the two players should instead choose from that pool of players right before the Skills Competition. The league could play up the playground connection by having the players stand in a line while they wait to be selected, skate over to the captain when they’re chosen and even play the Prince is Right “losing horns” for the last player to go. Imagine the jersey sales if they let Crosby and Ovechkin design their own jerseys and hand them to each selected player, as if the guy had been drafted. Picture the breathless speculation and fabricated controversy, not to mention the comedy. This would be absolute gold and would get huge ratings if there was any justice in the world.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 0
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 46
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL