Mar 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
The Twitter universe is in an uproar regarding Colin Campbell’s precedence based (though some will argue that his decision was based on, well, things that can’t be published) verdict not to suspend Matt Cooke. Some people are calling for Campbell’s head, others can tolerate it since Mike Richards wasn’t suspended for his hit on David Booth and many are just plain angry.
There are too many great pockets of discussion to nab every great Tweet, but I thought I’d at least try to share some of the highlights. There won’t be time stamps on the Tweets but the list goes from oldest to most recent, if that provides some context.
ViewFromMySeats: When a ruling is handed down that simply followed precedent, maybe its time to change said precedent.
schtimpy27: Well, I called it right. Campbell set the bar low when he let the Mike Richards hit (which was worse) go unpunished. #colincampbellmustgo
angus_j: Slandering player in media – six games. Nearly decapitating star player. Nothing. Idiot running the show? Priceless.
HockeyJoeGM: Richards’ hit on Booth = WRONG. Cooke’s hit on Savard = WRONG. Backing up two wrongs makes the NHL look extremely poor and reckless.
Russostrib: Surprised at shock of no suspension. Identical hit to Richards, so once NHL allowed that, they permitted this & had to come to same decision.
HockeyJoeGM: It’s just so unbelievably friggin stupid that a RULE has to be created to protect players from getting brained on the ice.
Sean_Leahy: Is that smoke in the distance from a fire or from Peter Chiarelli’s ears?
Twitter is an excellent tool for tracking down up-to-the-minute news reports, but it’s also a fantastic way to follow the mood of hockey fans. Sometimes that mood can only be described as “boiling anger.” Most of the time, though, it’s usually just a lot of fun – at least as long as everyone’s playing nice.
You can follow us on Twitter here.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 7
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 53
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8