Mar 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
The Twitter universe is in an uproar regarding Colin Campbell’s precedence based (though some will argue that his decision was based on, well, things that can’t be published) verdict not to suspend Matt Cooke. Some people are calling for Campbell’s head, others can tolerate it since Mike Richards wasn’t suspended for his hit on David Booth and many are just plain angry.
There are too many great pockets of discussion to nab every great Tweet, but I thought I’d at least try to share some of the highlights. There won’t be time stamps on the Tweets but the list goes from oldest to most recent, if that provides some context.
ViewFromMySeats: When a ruling is handed down that simply followed precedent, maybe its time to change said precedent.
schtimpy27: Well, I called it right. Campbell set the bar low when he let the Mike Richards hit (which was worse) go unpunished. #colincampbellmustgo
angus_j: Slandering player in media – six games. Nearly decapitating star player. Nothing. Idiot running the show? Priceless.
HockeyJoeGM: Richards’ hit on Booth = WRONG. Cooke’s hit on Savard = WRONG. Backing up two wrongs makes the NHL look extremely poor and reckless.
Russostrib: Surprised at shock of no suspension. Identical hit to Richards, so once NHL allowed that, they permitted this & had to come to same decision.
HockeyJoeGM: It’s just so unbelievably friggin stupid that a RULE has to be created to protect players from getting brained on the ice.
Sean_Leahy: Is that smoke in the distance from a fire or from Peter Chiarelli’s ears?
Twitter is an excellent tool for tracking down up-to-the-minute news reports, but it’s also a fantastic way to follow the mood of hockey fans. Sometimes that mood can only be described as “boiling anger.” Most of the time, though, it’s usually just a lot of fun – at least as long as everyone’s playing nice.
You can follow us on Twitter here.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)