Mar 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
The Twitter universe is in an uproar regarding Colin Campbell’s precedence based (though some will argue that his decision was based on, well, things that can’t be published) verdict not to suspend Matt Cooke. Some people are calling for Campbell’s head, others can tolerate it since Mike Richards wasn’t suspended for his hit on David Booth and many are just plain angry.
There are too many great pockets of discussion to nab every great Tweet, but I thought I’d at least try to share some of the highlights. There won’t be time stamps on the Tweets but the list goes from oldest to most recent, if that provides some context.
ViewFromMySeats: When a ruling is handed down that simply followed precedent, maybe its time to change said precedent.
schtimpy27: Well, I called it right. Campbell set the bar low when he let the Mike Richards hit (which was worse) go unpunished. #colincampbellmustgo
angus_j: Slandering player in media – six games. Nearly decapitating star player. Nothing. Idiot running the show? Priceless.
HockeyJoeGM: Richards’ hit on Booth = WRONG. Cooke’s hit on Savard = WRONG. Backing up two wrongs makes the NHL look extremely poor and reckless.
Russostrib: Surprised at shock of no suspension. Identical hit to Richards, so once NHL allowed that, they permitted this & had to come to same decision.
HockeyJoeGM: It’s just so unbelievably friggin stupid that a RULE has to be created to protect players from getting brained on the ice.
Sean_Leahy: Is that smoke in the distance from a fire or from Peter Chiarelli’s ears?
Twitter is an excellent tool for tracking down up-to-the-minute news reports, but it’s also a fantastic way to follow the mood of hockey fans. Sometimes that mood can only be described as “boiling anger.” Most of the time, though, it’s usually just a lot of fun – at least as long as everyone’s playing nice.
You can follow us on Twitter here.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)