Mar 10, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
hinted yesterday that it might happen, and it seems that it will.
The Atlanta Thrashers will call up 48-year old defenseman Chris Chelios
from their AHL affiliate. With Cristoph Shubert out for at least three
weeks or so, the Thrashers were short on defense and have a dire need
for veteran leadership. They’ll kill two birds with one stone with
The age jokes are inevitable. The Thrashers’ youngest
player, Evander Kane, wasn’t even born yet and Chelios had already won a
Stanley Cup and a Norris Trophy. He doesn’t even look like a hockey
player anymore; you expect a man of his… gruffness.. to be a coach or a
front office guy, not some ‘geezer’ out on the ice playing with the
kids. I can only imagine the reaction he’ll get once he plays in a game.
Chelios obviously still has something left in the tank, as he’s
dominated the AHL all season long. His leadership and experience cannot
be measured and he’ll be a vital piece in Atlanta as they fight to try
and make the playoffs.
I said it last night and I’ll say it again:
how ironic is it that Chelios is getting another shot in the NHL
because a player half his age has a hip injury?
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54