Mar 9, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
Who knows, last night’s masterful performance could begin a wonderful turnaround for Marty Turco. The balletic goalie could lead the Stars to an unlikely playoff run and finish his career with the franchise. That being said, it felt like last night’s game against the Capitals was meant to whet the appetites of teams looking for an answer in net this coming off-season.
Now, keep in mind, this post is complete speculation. I don’t base these opinions on “inside sources” and nothing will be ranked in parentheses. This is just for fun with at least a toe dipped in reality.
Teams who could be interested (and could maybe afford) Marty Turco
Philadelphia (2010-11 cap space: good?) All cap guesses based on figures from CapGeek.com.
Don Waddell’s Folly (aka Braydon Coburn) will take a big chunk of that cap, but a Turco signing isn’t out of the question. After all, considering the career of Ron Hextall, Flyers fans might have a soft spot for scatter brained goalies with serious puck handling skills. Besides, who wouldn’t be entertained by the inevitable implosions and the cruel but hilarious reactions from the City of Brotherly Love?
Atlanta (10-11 space: massive)
It only seems fair after Dallas traded for their should-be franchise goalie Kari Lehtonen, right? The Thrashers are a team ready for a makeover with both Johan Hedberg and Ondrej Pavelec’s contracts expire after this season.
Columbus (10-11 space: good)
While the Blue Jackets have two goalies under contract for next year, their cap hits combine to just above $2 million. Considering the serious erosion of Steve Mason’s skills, they might look for some help.
Tampa Bay (10-11 space: massive)
Hey, Mike Smith, remember how happy you were to step outside of Turco’s shadow and get a chance to earn serious playing time? Yeah, sorry about that. The Lightning have a lot of space because Steven Stamkos is still in his rookie deal through next season, so why not try to win some games before things get expensive?
Washington (10-11 space: questionable)
Nicklas Backstrom will cost a pretty penny and filling out the rest of the roster won’t be cheap, but perhaps the Capitals could move Jose Theodore’s $4.5 million cap hit into Turco’s bank account and make it work? Turco could give Varlamov time to grow and help the Caps’ defense (and transition offense) with his passing skills.
So, what do you think? Should one of these teams (or Dallas) try to sign Turco? Or could he go somewhere else, maybe to the KHL? Do tell.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (103)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)