Mar 9, 2010, 12:40 PM EST
The latest news on Marc Savard’s concussion issues represents one of the worst (although not the most surprising) scenarios: he may miss the rest of the season. This report comes from the Twitter feed of Chris Johnson, a hockey writer for The Canadian Press.
Peter Chiarelli says Marc Savard suffered a “serious” concussion, reiterates that he could be done for the season.
According to the Boston Globe, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said that the team will have a better idea regarding the length of Savard’s injury in the “next 4-5 days.”
“I’m just really tired right now,” Savard said. “[I have] headaches, my head’s been pounding all morning. I just want to get back to Boston and get in my bed.”
Head shots should be the focus of the general managers’ meetings anyway, but there is no doubt that the scary injury of a star in a big market will definitely force the issue. As we discussed yesterday, Colin Campbell – the man responsible for the league’s “Wheel of Justice” – shared some disturbingly casual remarks about dirty hits.
Look, it often makes me uncomfortable to call for someone’s head, but Campbell seems completely out of touch with the heart of these issues. Simply put, the consequences aren’t anywhere near harsh enough to deter dangerous (and careless) hits from happening.
Heck, Hammurabi’s Code of an eye for an eye almost seems more progressive than the league’s wildly subjective range of suspensions and slaps on the wrist. This is not my way of saying “someone should concuss Matt Cooke” but perhaps the league should simply find punishments that fit the crime. Accidents happen, yet I imagine if someone lost their career because they ended another one, people might actually tuck their elbows in a little better.
There are no easy solutions, but Campbell seems to prefer a simple shrug of his shoulders. Which – let’s face it – isn’t that far from a shrug of Cooke’s elbow.
(H/T to The Fourth Period.)
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)