Mar 9, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The latest news on Marc Savard’s concussion issues represents one of the worst (although not the most surprising) scenarios: he may miss the rest of the season. This report comes from the Twitter feed of Chris Johnson, a hockey writer for The Canadian Press.
Peter Chiarelli says Marc Savard suffered a “serious” concussion, reiterates that he could be done for the season.
According to the Boston Globe, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said that the team will have a better idea regarding the length of Savard’s injury in the “next 4-5 days.”
“I’m just really tired right now,” Savard said. “[I have] headaches, my head’s been pounding all morning. I just want to get back to Boston and get in my bed.”
Head shots should be the focus of the general managers’ meetings anyway, but there is no doubt that the scary injury of a star in a big market will definitely force the issue. As we discussed yesterday, Colin Campbell – the man responsible for the league’s “Wheel of Justice” – shared some disturbingly casual remarks about dirty hits.
Look, it often makes me uncomfortable to call for someone’s head, but Campbell seems completely out of touch with the heart of these issues. Simply put, the consequences aren’t anywhere near harsh enough to deter dangerous (and careless) hits from happening.
Heck, Hammurabi’s Code of an eye for an eye almost seems more progressive than the league’s wildly subjective range of suspensions and slaps on the wrist. This is not my way of saying “someone should concuss Matt Cooke” but perhaps the league should simply find punishments that fit the crime. Accidents happen, yet I imagine if someone lost their career because they ended another one, people might actually tuck their elbows in a little better.
There are no easy solutions, but Campbell seems to prefer a simple shrug of his shoulders. Which – let’s face it – isn’t that far from a shrug of Cooke’s elbow.
(H/T to The Fourth Period.)
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 6
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 26
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 71
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'