Mar 9, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The latest news on Marc Savard’s concussion issues represents one of the worst (although not the most surprising) scenarios: he may miss the rest of the season. This report comes from the Twitter feed of Chris Johnson, a hockey writer for The Canadian Press.
Peter Chiarelli says Marc Savard suffered a “serious” concussion, reiterates that he could be done for the season.
According to the Boston Globe, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said that the team will have a better idea regarding the length of Savard’s injury in the “next 4-5 days.”
“I’m just really tired right now,” Savard said. “[I have] headaches, my head’s been pounding all morning. I just want to get back to Boston and get in my bed.”
Head shots should be the focus of the general managers’ meetings anyway, but there is no doubt that the scary injury of a star in a big market will definitely force the issue. As we discussed yesterday, Colin Campbell – the man responsible for the league’s “Wheel of Justice” – shared some disturbingly casual remarks about dirty hits.
Look, it often makes me uncomfortable to call for someone’s head, but Campbell seems completely out of touch with the heart of these issues. Simply put, the consequences aren’t anywhere near harsh enough to deter dangerous (and careless) hits from happening.
Heck, Hammurabi’s Code of an eye for an eye almost seems more progressive than the league’s wildly subjective range of suspensions and slaps on the wrist. This is not my way of saying “someone should concuss Matt Cooke” but perhaps the league should simply find punishments that fit the crime. Accidents happen, yet I imagine if someone lost their career because they ended another one, people might actually tuck their elbows in a little better.
There are no easy solutions, but Campbell seems to prefer a simple shrug of his shoulders. Which – let’s face it – isn’t that far from a shrug of Cooke’s elbow.
(H/T to The Fourth Period.)
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)