Mar 9, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
In the olden days, Tuesdays were just a beating. Say what you will about Monday, at least you can disgust your co-workers with embellished tales from the past weekend. Tuesdays are basically a bad sequel to or an ugly twin of Mondays. I mean, even Wednesday gets its own name: Hump Day!
Yes sir, Tuesday’s were a big drag … until now. Every Bertuzzday we’ll agree to loosen our iron fist grip on hockey and let the (sigh) people vote on the previous week’s most shameful hockey human. We couldn’t think of a better player to name such a feature after than the infamous Todd Bertuzzi (besides, it’s a much better pun that Marty McSorturday).
In case you’re new to hockey or were living in a cave back then, the image of Bertuzzi’s attack on Steve Moore became the Zapruder film of hockey. It left Steve Moore with three broken vertebrae in his neck and a concussion and the video became fodder for CNN and other 24-hour news networks. Hopefully we’ll never see anything like that happen again, but in the mean time, let’s do our best to lampoon hockey’s worst ne’er do wells.
Without further adieu, here’s this week’s nominees.
Matt Cooke – Look, we don’t want to “lead your votes” here but Cooke is the player responsible for Marc Savard’s concussion problems and has a substantial history of dirty hits. (Video of the hit).
Colin Campbell – We’ve also discussed Campbell quite a bit the last few days. He’s ultimately the man responsible for dolling out suspensions; the lack of consistency in these decisions gave way to “Wheel of Justice” jokes throughout the blogosphere.
Steve Mason – Certainly not anywhere near Cooke’s level of villainy, but Mason was pulled in the first period after allowing 4 goals on 13 shots against the Los Angeles Kings. Again, he’s not guilty of something morally shameful … but athletically? Maybe.
“Other” – Feel free to bring up a write-in candidate as well. Votes for “James O’Brien for shameful puns” will not be accepted, meanies.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)