Mar 9, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
In the olden days, Tuesdays were just a beating. Say what you will about Monday, at least you can disgust your co-workers with embellished tales from the past weekend. Tuesdays are basically a bad sequel to or an ugly twin of Mondays. I mean, even Wednesday gets its own name: Hump Day!
Yes sir, Tuesday’s were a big drag … until now. Every Bertuzzday we’ll agree to loosen our iron fist grip on hockey and let the (sigh) people vote on the previous week’s most shameful hockey human. We couldn’t think of a better player to name such a feature after than the infamous Todd Bertuzzi (besides, it’s a much better pun that Marty McSorturday).
In case you’re new to hockey or were living in a cave back then, the image of Bertuzzi’s attack on Steve Moore became the Zapruder film of hockey. It left Steve Moore with three broken vertebrae in his neck and a concussion and the video became fodder for CNN and other 24-hour news networks. Hopefully we’ll never see anything like that happen again, but in the mean time, let’s do our best to lampoon hockey’s worst ne’er do wells.
Without further adieu, here’s this week’s nominees.
Matt Cooke - Look, we don’t want to “lead your votes” here but Cooke is the player responsible for Marc Savard’s concussion problems and has a substantial history of dirty hits. (Video of the hit).
Colin Campbell - We’ve also discussed Campbell quite a bit the last few days. He’s ultimately the man responsible for dolling out suspensions; the lack of consistency in these decisions gave way to “Wheel of Justice” jokes throughout the blogosphere.
Steve Mason - Certainly not anywhere near Cooke’s level of villainy, but Mason was pulled in the first period after allowing 4 goals on 13 shots against the Los Angeles Kings. Again, he’s not guilty of something morally shameful … but athletically? Maybe.
“Other” – Feel free to bring up a write-in candidate as well. Votes for “James O’Brien for shameful puns” will not be accepted, meanies.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)