Mar 9, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
There’s a big game tonight between the Detroit Red Wings and Calgary
Flames, as the Wings hope to win three in a row for the first time since
December. Even more importantly, it’s a battle for the 8th spot in the
West with the Red Wings holding a one point lead over the Flames and a
four point lead over the Dallas Stars.
One interesting side note
to tonight’s game is the current scoreless streak that Jarome Iginla has
against the Wings in the past 19 regular season games. Even more
interesting is that
Iginla had no clue about that stat until he was informed by a
“To be honest, I hadn’t thought about it
till you brought it up,” Iginla said after Tuesday’s morning skate.
“But it’s probably a good thing to think about . . . maybe approach the
game a little differently than in the past.
“For whatever reason,
it’s been pretty
dry against them in the regular season. But just keep playing and it’s
change. Try to do the right things. Get good quality shots.
that’s too long to not have a goal.
I can’t tell you why,” said Iginla, “but obviously (Lidstrom) is part
of that. I hope to change that.”
I’m sure the fact that he hasn’t scored on the Red Wings in 19 games
is weighing heavily on his mind this afternoon, and we can all thank
this reporter for putting the thought into his head that he’s been
useless against Detroit for a long time. Well, not really. Iginla should
be focused on how his actual team is playing against Detroit and as
they attempt to make a run for a playoff spot.
It’s not as if the
Flames have been struggling mightily while Iginla has failed to score
against Detroit. Their record against the Red Wings in the past 18
games, since the lockout, is 8-8-2. Certainly admirable, especially
considering how good the Wings have been in that span.
wonder how many players across the NHL the past 15 years or so have said
“Lidstrom is a big part of why I haven’t scored against the Red Wings
in a while.”
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)