Mar 9, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
There’s a big game tonight between the Detroit Red Wings and Calgary
Flames, as the Wings hope to win three in a row for the first time since
December. Even more importantly, it’s a battle for the 8th spot in the
West with the Red Wings holding a one point lead over the Flames and a
four point lead over the Dallas Stars.
One interesting side note
to tonight’s game is the current scoreless streak that Jarome Iginla has
against the Wings in the past 19 regular season games. Even more
interesting is that
Iginla had no clue about that stat until he was informed by a
“To be honest, I hadn’t thought about it
till you brought it up,” Iginla said after Tuesday’s morning skate.
“But it’s probably a good thing to think about . . . maybe approach the
game a little differently than in the past.
“For whatever reason,
it’s been pretty
dry against them in the regular season. But just keep playing and it’s
change. Try to do the right things. Get good quality shots.
that’s too long to not have a goal.
I can’t tell you why,” said Iginla, “but obviously (Lidstrom) is part
of that. I hope to change that.”
I’m sure the fact that he hasn’t scored on the Red Wings in 19 games
is weighing heavily on his mind this afternoon, and we can all thank
this reporter for putting the thought into his head that he’s been
useless against Detroit for a long time. Well, not really. Iginla should
be focused on how his actual team is playing against Detroit and as
they attempt to make a run for a playoff spot.
It’s not as if the
Flames have been struggling mightily while Iginla has failed to score
against Detroit. Their record against the Red Wings in the past 18
games, since the lockout, is 8-8-2. Certainly admirable, especially
considering how good the Wings have been in that span.
wonder how many players across the NHL the past 15 years or so have said
“Lidstrom is a big part of why I haven’t scored against the Red Wings
in a while.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 14
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)