Mar 9, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
There’s a big game tonight between the Detroit Red Wings and Calgary
Flames, as the Wings hope to win three in a row for the first time since
December. Even more importantly, it’s a battle for the 8th spot in the
West with the Red Wings holding a one point lead over the Flames and a
four point lead over the Dallas Stars.
One interesting side note
to tonight’s game is the current scoreless streak that Jarome Iginla has
against the Wings in the past 19 regular season games. Even more
interesting is that
Iginla had no clue about that stat until he was informed by a
“To be honest, I hadn’t thought about it
till you brought it up,” Iginla said after Tuesday’s morning skate.
“But it’s probably a good thing to think about . . . maybe approach the
game a little differently than in the past.
“For whatever reason,
it’s been pretty
dry against them in the regular season. But just keep playing and it’s
change. Try to do the right things. Get good quality shots.
that’s too long to not have a goal.
I can’t tell you why,” said Iginla, “but obviously (Lidstrom) is part
of that. I hope to change that.”
I’m sure the fact that he hasn’t scored on the Red Wings in 19 games
is weighing heavily on his mind this afternoon, and we can all thank
this reporter for putting the thought into his head that he’s been
useless against Detroit for a long time. Well, not really. Iginla should
be focused on how his actual team is playing against Detroit and as
they attempt to make a run for a playoff spot.
It’s not as if the
Flames have been struggling mightily while Iginla has failed to score
against Detroit. Their record against the Red Wings in the past 18
games, since the lockout, is 8-8-2. Certainly admirable, especially
considering how good the Wings have been in that span.
wonder how many players across the NHL the past 15 years or so have said
“Lidstrom is a big part of why I haven’t scored against the Red Wings
in a while.”
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 2
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 37
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)