Mar 9, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
There’s a big game tonight between the Detroit Red Wings and Calgary
Flames, as the Wings hope to win three in a row for the first time since
December. Even more importantly, it’s a battle for the 8th spot in the
West with the Red Wings holding a one point lead over the Flames and a
four point lead over the Dallas Stars.
One interesting side note
to tonight’s game is the current scoreless streak that Jarome Iginla has
against the Wings in the past 19 regular season games. Even more
interesting is that
Iginla had no clue about that stat until he was informed by a
“To be honest, I hadn’t thought about it
till you brought it up,” Iginla said after Tuesday’s morning skate.
“But it’s probably a good thing to think about . . . maybe approach the
game a little differently than in the past.
“For whatever reason,
it’s been pretty
dry against them in the regular season. But just keep playing and it’s
change. Try to do the right things. Get good quality shots.
that’s too long to not have a goal.
I can’t tell you why,” said Iginla, “but obviously (Lidstrom) is part
of that. I hope to change that.”
I’m sure the fact that he hasn’t scored on the Red Wings in 19 games
is weighing heavily on his mind this afternoon, and we can all thank
this reporter for putting the thought into his head that he’s been
useless against Detroit for a long time. Well, not really. Iginla should
be focused on how his actual team is playing against Detroit and as
they attempt to make a run for a playoff spot.
It’s not as if the
Flames have been struggling mightily while Iginla has failed to score
against Detroit. Their record against the Red Wings in the past 18
games, since the lockout, is 8-8-2. Certainly admirable, especially
considering how good the Wings have been in that span.
wonder how many players across the NHL the past 15 years or so have said
“Lidstrom is a big part of why I haven’t scored against the Red Wings
in a while.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 40
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 15
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead