Mar 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
It’s a sparse day of hockey tonight, with only two games to give you your sticks fix. Both games involve one much stronger team and could very well turn out to be laughers. You never know, though. After all, the New Jersey Devils lost to the Edmonton Oilers 2-0 on Sunday. Anyone can beat anyone in the good old hockey game.
Dallas Stars (28-24-12, 68 pts) at Washington Capitals (44-13-8, 96 pts) 7:00 PM ET
The Caps are 25-3-3 at home and hope to win their 14th consecutive game at the Phone Booth. Perhaps Alex Ovechkin is imagining that all of his opponents are carrying handheld cameras now, because the Capitals are 3-0 since the Olympic break. Dallas isn’t very good in general, but they’re especially bad on the road. I might need to re-think that “anyone can beat anyone” idea.
Columbus Blue Jackets (25-29-11, 61 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (38-22-4, 80 pts) – 10:30 PM ET
So how would someone hype this game? Let’s see, there’s the fact that the Kings are on a two game losing streak and the Blue Jackets have lost four in a row. THE BATTLE TO … NOT LOSE! Ugh, I don’t think that will do. Anyway, the Kings bring the league’s fifth most consistent goalie Jonathan Quick up against Andrew Raycroft/Jim Carey clone Steve Mason (seriously, what happened Steve?) in this one. Not exactly going to quicken any pulses here, but I guess they can’t all be gold records.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)