Mar 8, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Boston.com’s Bruins Blog reports that Bruins center Marc Savard has been diagnosed with a Grade II concussion due to a hit by Penguins forward Matt Cooke. According to the report, “Savard said that he felt like he was hit by a bus.”
Apparently the league will not yet make a judgment on the extent of a likely suspension for Cooke, who as we’ve discussed today, has a history of suspensions.
While Chiarelli believes Matt Cooke will be suspended, no ruling will take place today. League disciplinarian Colin Campbell told Chiarelli that the hit will be reviewed in greater detail today and tomorrow, with a decision to be made prior to Pittsburgh’s next game on Thursday.
For the undoubtedly small portion of our audience who aren’t brain surgeons, I thought I’d provide a little context as to how severe a Grade II concussion is. Here’s a brief description from Neurosurgerytoday.org.
Players who sustain a Grade II concussion lose consciousness for less than five minutes or exhibit posttraumatic amnesia between 30 minutes and 24 hours in duration. They may also return to play after one week of being asymptomatic.
The site lists the more-severe Grade III concussion as an injury that should sideline a player for at least one month. That doesn’t mean that a Grade II won’t keep Savard on the sideline for that much time or longer, as the symptoms of a concussion can last quite some time (again, the description says the player can return after one week of being asymptomatic or symptom-free). Considering the fact that sports leagues are becoming increasingly cautious regaring concussions, it’s hard to say how much time Savard will miss. We’ll keep you updated when we learn more.
Brandon also took a look at the controversial hit earlier today.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)