Mar 8, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Boston.com’s Bruins Blog reports that Bruins center Marc Savard has been diagnosed with a Grade II concussion due to a hit by Penguins forward Matt Cooke. According to the report, “Savard said that he felt like he was hit by a bus.”
Apparently the league will not yet make a judgment on the extent of a likely suspension for Cooke, who as we’ve discussed today, has a history of suspensions.
While Chiarelli believes Matt Cooke will be suspended, no ruling will take place today. League disciplinarian Colin Campbell told Chiarelli that the hit will be reviewed in greater detail today and tomorrow, with a decision to be made prior to Pittsburgh’s next game on Thursday.
For the undoubtedly small portion of our audience who aren’t brain surgeons, I thought I’d provide a little context as to how severe a Grade II concussion is. Here’s a brief description from Neurosurgerytoday.org.
Players who sustain a Grade II concussion lose consciousness for less than five minutes or exhibit posttraumatic amnesia between 30 minutes and 24 hours in duration. They may also return to play after one week of being asymptomatic.
The site lists the more-severe Grade III concussion as an injury that should sideline a player for at least one month. That doesn’t mean that a Grade II won’t keep Savard on the sideline for that much time or longer, as the symptoms of a concussion can last quite some time (again, the description says the player can return after one week of being asymptomatic or symptom-free). Considering the fact that sports leagues are becoming increasingly cautious regaring concussions, it’s hard to say how much time Savard will miss. We’ll keep you updated when we learn more.
Brandon also took a look at the controversial hit earlier today.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)