Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
You have to feel for Ryan Jones.
Placed on the waiver wire by
the Nashville Predators last week, he was picked up by the Edmonton
Oilers in what is undoubtably the best move they made at the trade
deadline. Jones is a player who would bring some spark, energy and some
scoring ability to an Oilers team that is struggling to rebuild.
just his second game with the Oilers, Jones was struck by a
knee-on-knee hit by Minnesota’s Derek Boogaard. There was a two-game
suspension handed down, but now we learn that Jones will be out at least
four weeks with a second-degree tear of the MCL in his right knee.
guy loses two games, one guy is going to lose four weeks. That
seems fair,” said Edmonton head coach Pat Quinn, who has seen far too
many players go down this season.
(Jones) gets a chance to come back. He’s a robust, honest, workmanlike
player that you really like to have in your lineup,” said Quinn of
Jones, the former Nashville Predator who had been claimed off the waiver
wire on trade deadline day.
Here’s the other issue
regarding these hits: some feel the punishment should match the injury
received. That’s absurd; if an elbow to the head leaves one guy
unconscious and taken off the ice on a stretcher, while the another
elbow to the head just causes a slight headache and a fight, is the one
any worse than the other? It’s still an elbow to the head and it’s still
an exceptionally dangerous play. They should all be punished the same,
no matter what the injury might be.
I know that’s not exactly the
popular opinion but you cannot punish based on the ensuing injury
alone; hence the need for standardized punishment.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)