Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
You have to feel for Ryan Jones.
Placed on the waiver wire by
the Nashville Predators last week, he was picked up by the Edmonton
Oilers in what is undoubtably the best move they made at the trade
deadline. Jones is a player who would bring some spark, energy and some
scoring ability to an Oilers team that is struggling to rebuild.
just his second game with the Oilers, Jones was struck by a
knee-on-knee hit by Minnesota’s Derek Boogaard. There was a two-game
suspension handed down, but now we learn that Jones will be out at least
four weeks with a second-degree tear of the MCL in his right knee.
guy loses two games, one guy is going to lose four weeks. That
seems fair,” said Edmonton head coach Pat Quinn, who has seen far too
many players go down this season.
(Jones) gets a chance to come back. He’s a robust, honest, workmanlike
player that you really like to have in your lineup,” said Quinn of
Jones, the former Nashville Predator who had been claimed off the waiver
wire on trade deadline day.
Here’s the other issue
regarding these hits: some feel the punishment should match the injury
received. That’s absurd; if an elbow to the head leaves one guy
unconscious and taken off the ice on a stretcher, while the another
elbow to the head just causes a slight headache and a fight, is the one
any worse than the other? It’s still an elbow to the head and it’s still
an exceptionally dangerous play. They should all be punished the same,
no matter what the injury might be.
I know that’s not exactly the
popular opinion but you cannot punish based on the ensuing injury
alone; hence the need for standardized punishment.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)