Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
You have to feel for Ryan Jones.
Placed on the waiver wire by
the Nashville Predators last week, he was picked up by the Edmonton
Oilers in what is undoubtably the best move they made at the trade
deadline. Jones is a player who would bring some spark, energy and some
scoring ability to an Oilers team that is struggling to rebuild.
just his second game with the Oilers, Jones was struck by a
knee-on-knee hit by Minnesota’s Derek Boogaard. There was a two-game
suspension handed down, but now we learn that Jones will be out at least
four weeks with a second-degree tear of the MCL in his right knee.
guy loses two games, one guy is going to lose four weeks. That
seems fair,” said Edmonton head coach Pat Quinn, who has seen far too
many players go down this season.
(Jones) gets a chance to come back. He’s a robust, honest, workmanlike
player that you really like to have in your lineup,” said Quinn of
Jones, the former Nashville Predator who had been claimed off the waiver
wire on trade deadline day.
Here’s the other issue
regarding these hits: some feel the punishment should match the injury
received. That’s absurd; if an elbow to the head leaves one guy
unconscious and taken off the ice on a stretcher, while the another
elbow to the head just causes a slight headache and a fight, is the one
any worse than the other? It’s still an elbow to the head and it’s still
an exceptionally dangerous play. They should all be punished the same,
no matter what the injury might be.
I know that’s not exactly the
popular opinion but you cannot punish based on the ensuing injury
alone; hence the need for standardized punishment.
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 0
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 9
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 6
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 20
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)