Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
You have to feel for Ryan Jones.
Placed on the waiver wire by
the Nashville Predators last week, he was picked up by the Edmonton
Oilers in what is undoubtably the best move they made at the trade
deadline. Jones is a player who would bring some spark, energy and some
scoring ability to an Oilers team that is struggling to rebuild.
just his second game with the Oilers, Jones was struck by a
knee-on-knee hit by Minnesota’s Derek Boogaard. There was a two-game
suspension handed down, but now we learn that Jones will be out at least
four weeks with a second-degree tear of the MCL in his right knee.
guy loses two games, one guy is going to lose four weeks. That
seems fair,” said Edmonton head coach Pat Quinn, who has seen far too
many players go down this season.
(Jones) gets a chance to come back. He’s a robust, honest, workmanlike
player that you really like to have in your lineup,” said Quinn of
Jones, the former Nashville Predator who had been claimed off the waiver
wire on trade deadline day.
Here’s the other issue
regarding these hits: some feel the punishment should match the injury
received. That’s absurd; if an elbow to the head leaves one guy
unconscious and taken off the ice on a stretcher, while the another
elbow to the head just causes a slight headache and a fight, is the one
any worse than the other? It’s still an elbow to the head and it’s still
an exceptionally dangerous play. They should all be punished the same,
no matter what the injury might be.
I know that’s not exactly the
popular opinion but you cannot punish based on the ensuing injury
alone; hence the need for standardized punishment.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)