Mar 8, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
- Atlanta Thashers GM
Don Waddel on distinguishing between legal and illegal hits:
Waddell: First, body checking is such a big part of the NHL and
it’ll continue to be. We need it to be a big part of the game but there
are a few incidents, every so often, that we don’t like. We have to be
careful with bringing in rules that prevent players from doing their
job of banging bodies. Over the next few days here we’ll talk more
about it and maybe come up with some kind of resolution.
Nichol is practicing — sort of — with the Sharks as he tries to
return from the shoulder injury he suffered from Maxim Lapierre’s hit
“It’s about the strength coming back and the pain going
away. It hasn’t been a week yet and it’s much better than I would have
- Ryan Jones is out four weeks and now we learn that Denis Grebeshkov
is out for 1-2 weeks himself. The players that Oilers and Predators
“swapped” have not had that good of luck with their new teams.
The Preds have lost defenseman Denis Grebeshkov for one
to two weeks with a lower-body injury. He apparently suffered the
injury fairly early in Sunday’s loss to Vancouver, but played
through it for a while.
- Jonas Hiller on putting the puck in the net himself, when he stood
up and the puck fell over the goal line. The play was never blown dead,
and the puck was sitting on Hiller’s pads.
“I thought the puck was slipping,” said Hiller, who made 40 saves in
regulation and overtime. “He was shooting five-hole and I couldn’t find
the puck. I thought it was still slipping through so I tried to put my
skate back so it won’t go in.
“As I saw on the video afterward, it was on my pad and I put it in
myself I guess. I don’t even know exactly what the rule is on that. It’s
a tough one.”
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40