Mar 8, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Tarik El-Bashir reports that Washington Capitals defenseman Milan Jurcina will have double sports hernia surgery on Thursday. That sounds extremely uncomfortable (shifts in seat).
Anyway, Washington was able to get Jurcina back from Columbus at the trade deadline for next to nothing – a conditional sixth round pick in the 2010 – because word got out that the hard-hitting defenseman was having hernia problems. (It would be a lot more fun if teams were creative with these conditions, like the Blue Jackets get the pick if Jurcina could do a 30 second keg stand. Although maybe a man with hernia issues should stay away from such activities for a while.)
Jurcina’s swift return reminds me of the common NBA practice of a traded player returning to his previous team a month after being bought out. As you may recall, Jurcina was sent to Columbus with former Capitals captain Chris Clark for speedy left winger Jason Chimera.
The team claims that Jurcina is expected to be out 4-6 weeks, but El-Bashir notes that such a timetable might be a little bit too optimistic. Either way, Jurcina – while not being anywhere close to a game changing player – brings a needed physical element to the Caps’ defense. It will be interesting to see if he can get healthy in time for the playoffs to start.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)