Mar 8, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Tarik El-Bashir reports that Washington Capitals defenseman Milan Jurcina will have double sports hernia surgery on Thursday. That sounds extremely uncomfortable (shifts in seat).
Anyway, Washington was able to get Jurcina back from Columbus at the trade deadline for next to nothing – a conditional sixth round pick in the 2010 – because word got out that the hard-hitting defenseman was having hernia problems. (It would be a lot more fun if teams were creative with these conditions, like the Blue Jackets get the pick if Jurcina could do a 30 second keg stand. Although maybe a man with hernia issues should stay away from such activities for a while.)
Jurcina’s swift return reminds me of the common NBA practice of a traded player returning to his previous team a month after being bought out. As you may recall, Jurcina was sent to Columbus with former Capitals captain Chris Clark for speedy left winger Jason Chimera.
The team claims that Jurcina is expected to be out 4-6 weeks, but El-Bashir notes that such a timetable might be a little bit too optimistic. Either way, Jurcina – while not being anywhere close to a game changing player – brings a needed physical element to the Caps’ defense. It will be interesting to see if he can get healthy in time for the playoffs to start.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)