Mar 8, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Tarik El-Bashir reports that Washington Capitals defenseman Milan Jurcina will have double sports hernia surgery on Thursday. That sounds extremely uncomfortable (shifts in seat).
Anyway, Washington was able to get Jurcina back from Columbus at the trade deadline for next to nothing – a conditional sixth round pick in the 2010 – because word got out that the hard-hitting defenseman was having hernia problems. (It would be a lot more fun if teams were creative with these conditions, like the Blue Jackets get the pick if Jurcina could do a 30 second keg stand. Although maybe a man with hernia issues should stay away from such activities for a while.)
Jurcina’s swift return reminds me of the common NBA practice of a traded player returning to his previous team a month after being bought out. As you may recall, Jurcina was sent to Columbus with former Capitals captain Chris Clark for speedy left winger Jason Chimera.
The team claims that Jurcina is expected to be out 4-6 weeks, but El-Bashir notes that such a timetable might be a little bit too optimistic. Either way, Jurcina – while not being anywhere close to a game changing player – brings a needed physical element to the Caps’ defense. It will be interesting to see if he can get healthy in time for the playoffs to start.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)