Mar 8, 2010, 10:38 AM EST
The NHL General Managers are meeting this week, Monday through
to discuss and debate a number of issues related to the league. Some of
the topics include a possible playoff qualification round, a ‘coach’s
challenge for video review” and the tie-breaking formula. But it seems
— as it should be — that the issue getting the most attention this
week has to do head shots, and Matt Cooke’s from yesterday is up front
Monday’s meetings consist of a variety of presentations relating to
the issue of head checking, concussions and the NHL’s ongoing concussion
The NHL has invited a medical team that specializes in concussions to
speak and there will also be extensive video presentations isolating
both legal and illegal contact with the head.
Here’s the issue: currently, hits to the head by a shoulder are
considered legal, while elbow hits are not. But what about upper-forearm
hits? Are those shoulder or elbow hits? Matt Cooke certainly got his
arm up on Marc Savard, but he didn’t blatantly put the point of his
elbow into this temple.
That’s the issue that will debated and it’s expected that there will
be a new rule proposal to come out of these meetings that clarifies
exactly what is illegal about these checks.
While they’re at it, how about coming up with a standardized system
of punishment for illegal hits, so it’s not just left up to the whim of
Colin Campbell and his wheel of justice. That’s a concept.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5