Mar 8, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
It’s hard to say if the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to name Dion Phaneuf one of their alternate captains is a sign of a career rebound or rather a profound statement about how desolate this Toronto team really has become since their last captain Mats Sundin left.
In his rookie year, Phaneuf wowed the hockey world with an impressive blend of Scott Stevens-like brutality and top-notch offensive talent. With his crushing body checks and successive season totals of 49, 50 and 60 points, the then-Calgary Flames defenseman was popular enough to become the cover star for NHL ’09.
I don’t know if it was the Curse of Cuthbert or what, but Phaneuf’s game began to devolve noticeably. There were murmurs building about his defensive lapses for some time, but the much-ballyhooed player truly began to take some heat when his offensive numbers started to slide. (Not that 47 points is anything to sneeze at for a defenseman, but this year’s currently projected 30 point total isn’t up to snuff.)
With an expensive off-season signing of Jay Bouwmeester and the rugged defense of Robyn Regehr, it was hard to imagine Calgary spending around $14 million for three defensemen. Eventually, the Flames soured on Phaneuf and traded him to Toronto. The question is: will another Burke gamble yield a gradual turnaround or set the Leafs back even further?
Well, look at this way: worst case scenario, the world will be treated to more hilarious Brian Burke scowls. Now that, Ms. Cuthbert, is entertainment.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)