Mar 8, 2010, 5:10 PM EST
It’s hard to say if the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to name Dion Phaneuf one of their alternate captains is a sign of a career rebound or rather a profound statement about how desolate this Toronto team really has become since their last captain Mats Sundin left.
In his rookie year, Phaneuf wowed the hockey world with an impressive blend of Scott Stevens-like brutality and top-notch offensive talent. With his crushing body checks and successive season totals of 49, 50 and 60 points, the then-Calgary Flames defenseman was popular enough to become the cover star for NHL ’09.
I don’t know if it was the Curse of Cuthbert or what, but Phaneuf’s game began to devolve noticeably. There were murmurs building about his defensive lapses for some time, but the much-ballyhooed player truly began to take some heat when his offensive numbers started to slide. (Not that 47 points is anything to sneeze at for a defenseman, but this year’s currently projected 30 point total isn’t up to snuff.)
With an expensive off-season signing of Jay Bouwmeester and the rugged defense of Robyn Regehr, it was hard to imagine Calgary spending around $14 million for three defensemen. Eventually, the Flames soured on Phaneuf and traded him to Toronto. The question is: will another Burke gamble yield a gradual turnaround or set the Leafs back even further?
Well, look at this way: worst case scenario, the world will be treated to more hilarious Brian Burke scowls. Now that, Ms. Cuthbert, is entertainment.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)