Mar 8, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Well, here’s an interesting suggestion.
Debate over late hits, hits to the head and the ensuing punishments is all over the internet this morning, especially considering the fact that the NHL general managers are meeting this morning to discuss this very fact. Elliotte Friedman from CBC Sports has a rundown of a number of proposed solutions to the problem, but this one takes the proverbial cake.
Make the equipment softer.
Per Rob DiMaio:
“In the NHL, I wore the same shoulder pads I used in midget,” he said.
“I could feel the hits. These guys don’t feel anything. That gives players an extra feeling of power.”
The argument is that players are so protected nowadays that they seemingly don’t feel
the bone-jarring hits as much as they once did. Combine that with bigger and faster players and you have a NHL filled with guys who have no clue the damage they can put on opposing players.
I don’t think there’s any way the NHL will go in this direction, in fact they’re working to make the padding better and more protective.
Here’s a suggestion: Make hits to the head and illegal hits an automatic one-game suspension. Do it again and it’s 25 games.
That will keep the elbows down.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)