Mar 8, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Well, here’s an interesting suggestion.
Debate over late hits, hits to the head and the ensuing punishments is all over the internet this morning, especially considering the fact that the NHL general managers are meeting this morning to discuss this very fact. Elliotte Friedman from CBC Sports has a rundown of a number of proposed solutions to the problem, but this one takes the proverbial cake.
Make the equipment softer.
Per Rob DiMaio:
“In the NHL, I wore the same shoulder pads I used in midget,” he said.
“I could feel the hits. These guys don’t feel anything. That gives players an extra feeling of power.”
The argument is that players are so protected nowadays that they seemingly don’t feel
the bone-jarring hits as much as they once did. Combine that with bigger and faster players and you have a NHL filled with guys who have no clue the damage they can put on opposing players.
I don’t think there’s any way the NHL will go in this direction, in fact they’re working to make the padding better and more protective.
Here’s a suggestion: Make hits to the head and illegal hits an automatic one-game suspension. Do it again and it’s 25 games.
That will keep the elbows down.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)