Mar 8, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Yesterday it was brought to my attention that there was a ‘report’
published that stated emphatically that the Phoenix Coyotes would be
returning to Winnipeg. Even though we here at Pro Hockey Talk are
technically not averse to posting rumors from around the league, I was
hesitant on this one.
This is fairly big story if true, and I wanted to wait until there
were some other, more trustworthy sources out there that either
completely debunked this report or actually gave it credence. My
hesitation was the result of a number of factors: I have no idea how
trustworthy this blogger is (who covers the Vancouver Canucks), he
starts of saying it’s a done deal then says in the story there’s still
some details to be work out, and this comes from a website that is known
for for a making a living on unsubstantiated rumors. First, here’s
an excerpt from the original story:
Well here it is: the scoop. The one that matters and the one you
heard first. The Coyotes are coming not the Thrashers and yes, Mr.
David Thomson is involved. The team will be moving to Winnipeg for
next season and the thank god. At least this team has a fighting
chance versus the previous rumoured option of Atlanta.
What he’s talking about is a slew of rumors from earlier in the
season that the Thrashers would be moving to Winnipeg. I don’t know how
grounded those rumors were in reality, but I’ve heard nothing about it
since. Now, it seems everyone (well, at least this guy is) is convinced
it’s the Coyotes that are moving. Well, not so fast there, killer.
to Jim Gintinio’s Ice Chips blog on AZCentral.com, he doesn’t
believe the team is moving and approaches the report with a bit of
Wonder if he was talking to the same driver
who trucked Robert Irsay and the Colts out of Baltimore.
not believe the Coyotes are going anywhere – except to the playoffs in
about a month.
If this ends up being true, then
I’ll apologize to the original author. But the article is so filled with
hearsay, generalities and then mixed with emphatic declarations it’s
tough to take it seriously.
(H/T to Kukla’s)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)