Mar 8, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
There are only two games tonight in the NHL, and one pits the best
team in the league against a team that is struggling since the Olympic
break. The Dallas Stars are mired in mediocrity since the Olympic break,
and many (including myself) believed tonight’s game between Dallas and
the Washington Capitals would be laugher by the 25-minute mark. After
all, this was team that’s allowed 17 goals in three games going up
against the most potent and dangerous offensive team in the NHL. At the
So far, midway through the second period, that hasn’t been the case.
In fact, it’s been a fairly close game. The Stars have hung in there
despite allowing a goal within the first few minutes, as Marty Turco has
played brilliantly as he’s been peppered by 29 shots already in the
But it hasn’t just been Turco. The Stars have done their best to
counterpunch and it’s been an interesting thing to watch; the Stars have
been able to do their best to elevate their level of play against the
NHL’s best team.
There’s no doubt that the Capitals are a better team, but this is
also the best the Stars have played since before the break. This is what
the Capitals are up against every single night: every team wants to
play their best and get pumped up when taking on the Capitals. That
Washington continues to win like they do and be so dominant while doing
so is even more impressive.
The Stars have stayed in the game with great goaltending and believe
it or not a decent job on defense. And yet they’ve still allowed a high
number of shots and chances. But at this point, one good play by the
Stars in the other direction and this is a new game.
[Update] I jinxed the Stars. Alex Ovechkin scores on a 5-on-3 to put the Capitals ahead 2-0, just minutes after I posted this.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead