Mar 7, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
After some robust NBC Game of the Week coverage (thanks for stopping by for the live chat, by the way), let’s take a look at the games that have yet to start. If you kids are good, I might even put together a recap of today’s early games. Now get your feet off the couch!
Buffalo Sabres (34-20-9, 77 pts) at New York Rangers (29-28-8, 66 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Both teams are in need of some shaping up in this one. For the Rangers, they need to stop the bleeding or they’ll slip even further out of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. It’s also safe to say that the 09-10 Sabres would rather not be the first team in franchise history to lose nine straight road games, either.
Toronto Maple Leafs (20-32-12, 52 pts) at Philadelphia Flyers (33-26-4, 70 pts) 7:00 PM ET
Michael Leighton played pretty well in a losing effort against the Sabres Friday night, but every loss fuels the goaltending anxiety that much more.
New Jersey Devils (38-22-3, 79 pts) at Edmonton Oilers (20-38-6, 46 pts) 8:00 PM ET
Well, who’s the “Mickey Mouse” organization now? (I know that even with ownership changes, the answer is probably still the Ducks, but work with me here) If I had a time machine I’d do a million other things first, but then I’d ask ’80s era Gretzky to explain this situation.
Montreal Canadiens (31-29-6, 68 pts) at Anaheim Ducks (30-27-7, 67 pts) 8:00 PM ET
When you look at all the talent on this Ducks team, it’s really difficult to explain their profound struggles. Do they miss Chris Pronger’s elbows? Could it be that their coach’s Caesar-style haircut is demoralizing? I don’t know the root of their struggles, but if they want to surge their way to the playoffs again, they better get moving.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 12
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 25
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 19
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 55
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6