Mar 7, 2010, 7:15 PM EST
It’s already been a long, injury-ravaged season for Marc Savard and things just got a lot worse. He left the ice on a stretcher and suffered a concussion because of a hit by Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke in this afternoon’s game between the Bruins and the Penguins. Here’s a (somewhat low quality) video of the hit. Pretty indefensible, if you ask me. NHL.com had this description of the hit:
Savard had just taken a shot from above the circles when Cooke raised his shoulder and struck Savard in the head. Cooke was coming from behind on the play and Savard did not see him.
Savard was on the ice for several minutes, being attended to by a Penguins team doctor, before being carried off. He was moving his legs while on the ice and his arms while on the stretcher.
Cooke was not penalized for the play, which upset Bruins coach Claude Julien. Julien said that he would “let the league take care of it.”
Cooke is a player who often plays on “the edge,” with a history of borderline hits. He was suspended for 2 games this season because of a hit on New York Rangers forward Artem Ansimov and drew controversy for a knee-to-knee hit on Erik Cole in last year’s playoffs.
For Savard, it’s another tough break in a 09-10 season riddled by injuries. He has only played in 38 games so far this season because of problems with his back and knees. Now he has to deal with a concussion. Don’t be surprised if Cooke (deservedly) sits out a few games for this one.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)