Mar 7, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
It’s already been a long, injury-ravaged season for Marc Savard and things just got a lot worse. He left the ice on a stretcher and suffered a concussion because of a hit by Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke in this afternoon’s game between the Bruins and the Penguins. Here’s a (somewhat low quality) video of the hit. Pretty indefensible, if you ask me. NHL.com had this description of the hit:
Savard had just taken a shot from above the circles when Cooke raised his shoulder and struck Savard in the head. Cooke was coming from behind on the play and Savard did not see him.
Savard was on the ice for several minutes, being attended to by a Penguins team doctor, before being carried off. He was moving his legs while on the ice and his arms while on the stretcher.
Cooke was not penalized for the play, which upset Bruins coach Claude Julien. Julien said that he would “let the league take care of it.”
Cooke is a player who often plays on “the edge,” with a history of borderline hits. He was suspended for 2 games this season because of a hit on New York Rangers forward Artem Ansimov and drew controversy for a knee-to-knee hit on Erik Cole in last year’s playoffs.
For Savard, it’s another tough break in a 09-10 season riddled by injuries. He has only played in 38 games so far this season because of problems with his back and knees. Now he has to deal with a concussion. Don’t be surprised if Cooke (deservedly) sits out a few games for this one.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)