Mar 7, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
With all the Game of the Week coverage, I didn’t want to neglect the other games too much. After all, I’d hate to see these games rebel against their latch key upbringing, make horrible life decisions just to get attention and then ultimately grow to resent me. Or, uh, something like that.
Anyway, let’s recap Sunday’s afternoon games.
The enduring image of this game has to be a concussed Marc Savard being taken off the ice on a stretcher. Surely this will be fresh on more than a few general managers’ minds as they converge for their annual meeting this week. Evgeni Malkin scored the game winner for Pittsburgh in this low scoring bout.
It only makes sense that Carolina’s inexplicably hot run (8-1 in their last nine games) would continue with a shutout by an inexplicable goalie. Manny Legace’s career was practically drawing vultures this summer – and he might not be out of the involuntary retirement woods for long – but at least for now, he must be riding high. It’s too early to wonder if Carolina can make the playoffs, but I guess this is their time of year …
Speaking of goalies left for dead, Vesa Toskala recorded a victory in his first game with Calgary. In less startling news, Jarome Iginla broke out of a funk by scoring a hat trick – his third career hat trick against the Wild. Hey, Jarome, I agree that their verb-turned-noun name is an affront to the English language but … take it easy. Jeez.
It was a mixed game for two certified man crushes of mine; Ryan Kesler continued his career high 9-game point scoring streak (good) while Shea Weber missed the game due to an arm/hand injury (not so good). Trailing 2-1 going into the third period, Vancouver scored three unanswered goals to take this one.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of ‘embarrassing’ embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)