Mar 7, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are facing a goaltending crisis.
We covered it this morning, but if this team thinks their defense and forwards can cover up for sub-par goaltending then they are seriously delusional. In a big game against a division rival at home and with a 2-0 lead, Cristobal Huet fell apart. He wasn’t tracking the puck at all as it moved laterally across the ice and allowed a cross-crease pass to get through him as he over committed to his right. There was no choice but to pull Huet after the fourth goal, and should have been pulled as soon as they gave up the lead.
The Hawks themselves seemed to lose their fire as the goaltending failed them, and allowed two breakaway goals. Pavel Datsyuk’s highlight goal at the end of the period was just salt on the wound.
A strong first period turned into 20 minutes of absolute disaster for the Blackhawks. Was the goaltending entirely to blame? Not really, but it’s tough to point in another direction in this game. Five goals allowed on 19 shots in unacceptable.
A third period comeback from three goals down is going to be tough, but the Blackhawks have the firepower to do so.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 40
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination