Mar 7, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are facing a goaltending crisis.
We covered it this morning, but if this team thinks their defense and forwards can cover up for sub-par goaltending then they are seriously delusional. In a big game against a division rival at home and with a 2-0 lead, Cristobal Huet fell apart. He wasn’t tracking the puck at all as it moved laterally across the ice and allowed a cross-crease pass to get through him as he over committed to his right. There was no choice but to pull Huet after the fourth goal, and should have been pulled as soon as they gave up the lead.
The Hawks themselves seemed to lose their fire as the goaltending failed them, and allowed two breakaway goals. Pavel Datsyuk’s highlight goal at the end of the period was just salt on the wound.
A strong first period turned into 20 minutes of absolute disaster for the Blackhawks. Was the goaltending entirely to blame? Not really, but it’s tough to point in another direction in this game. Five goals allowed on 19 shots in unacceptable.
A third period comeback from three goals down is going to be tough, but the Blackhawks have the firepower to do so.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)