Mar 7, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are facing a goaltending crisis.
We covered it this morning, but if this team thinks their defense and forwards can cover up for sub-par goaltending then they are seriously delusional. In a big game against a division rival at home and with a 2-0 lead, Cristobal Huet fell apart. He wasn’t tracking the puck at all as it moved laterally across the ice and allowed a cross-crease pass to get through him as he over committed to his right. There was no choice but to pull Huet after the fourth goal, and should have been pulled as soon as they gave up the lead.
The Hawks themselves seemed to lose their fire as the goaltending failed them, and allowed two breakaway goals. Pavel Datsyuk’s highlight goal at the end of the period was just salt on the wound.
A strong first period turned into 20 minutes of absolute disaster for the Blackhawks. Was the goaltending entirely to blame? Not really, but it’s tough to point in another direction in this game. Five goals allowed on 19 shots in unacceptable.
A third period comeback from three goals down is going to be tough, but the Blackhawks have the firepower to do so.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)