Mar 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
There are a couple of keys to the turnaround of the Phoenix Coyotes this season. Dave Tippett was hired and instantly brought a sense of purpose and stability to a team that has been mired in mediocrity for far too long. The hockey fans in Arizona (and yes, there are plenty of hockey fans in Arizona) deserved to have a team that was at least competitive and this season they have it.
Ilya Bryzgalov is the other reason. The goaltender set a franchise record last night with this 34th win of the season, a shutout of the Anaheim Ducks (
a team that traded Bryzgalov away, remember released Bryzgalov, which is even worse). He is the rock in the net for the Coyotes, who are playing much better defensively but are still improving as Tippett reworks the team.
“It’s nice but I’m not chasing any records here,” Bryzgalov said. “I came to help my teammates win games and my teammates help me win games because we are in the same boat.”
“We’re trying to make the playoffs and every game we win we are closer to finishing this mission,” Bryzgalov said.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)