Mar 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
There are a couple of keys to the turnaround of the Phoenix Coyotes this season. Dave Tippett was hired and instantly brought a sense of purpose and stability to a team that has been mired in mediocrity for far too long. The hockey fans in Arizona (and yes, there are plenty of hockey fans in Arizona) deserved to have a team that was at least competitive and this season they have it.
Ilya Bryzgalov is the other reason. The goaltender set a franchise record last night with this 34th win of the season, a shutout of the Anaheim Ducks (
a team that traded Bryzgalov away, remember released Bryzgalov, which is even worse). He is the rock in the net for the Coyotes, who are playing much better defensively but are still improving as Tippett reworks the team.
“It’s nice but I’m not chasing any records here,” Bryzgalov said. “I came to help my teammates win games and my teammates help me win games because we are in the same boat.”
“We’re trying to make the playoffs and every game we win we are closer to finishing this mission,” Bryzgalov said.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)