Mar 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
There are a couple of keys to the turnaround of the Phoenix Coyotes this season. Dave Tippett was hired and instantly brought a sense of purpose and stability to a team that has been mired in mediocrity for far too long. The hockey fans in Arizona (and yes, there are plenty of hockey fans in Arizona) deserved to have a team that was at least competitive and this season they have it.
Ilya Bryzgalov is the other reason. The goaltender set a franchise record last night with this 34th win of the season, a shutout of the Anaheim Ducks (
a team that traded Bryzgalov away, remember released Bryzgalov, which is even worse). He is the rock in the net for the Coyotes, who are playing much better defensively but are still improving as Tippett reworks the team.
“It’s nice but I’m not chasing any records here,” Bryzgalov said. “I came to help my teammates win games and my teammates help me win games because we are in the same boat.”
“We’re trying to make the playoffs and every game we win we are closer to finishing this mission,” Bryzgalov said.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)