Mar 6, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
For the time being, struggling Vezina winner Tim Thomas will end his long national bench warming nightmare. Constant typo threat Tuukka Rask (it might be worth the cost of a plane ticket to Boston just to hear his name pronounced in those parts) started the last seven games before going down with a knee injury.
Reports indicate that Rask’s injury will be “day-to-day” which could mean just about anything. This is a golden opportunity for Thomas to regain the No. 1 status that Rask wrestled away from him briefly. If they could choose, the Bruins would prefer to bring the Finnish goalie along slowly while Thomas regains his form – something that Rask seemed to acknowledge a month ago.
“He’s the No. 1,” Rask said. “If you don’t play the No. 1, you get to thinking and it gets in your head. You really don’t want that for your No. 1 goalie. We want to be there for Timmy and we want to help him to get the points he deserves.”
Aw, how sweet. There’s no doubt that Rask has better 09-10 numbers than Thomas; he has the same amount of wins in less starts, a lower GAA and a higher save percentage. The bad news is that the Thomas contract could be a real albatross for the franchise since his cap hit can count even if he retires. On the other hand, Rask himself signed a two year $2.5 million extension that could end up being a real steal for the Bruins.
You never know, the duo (and Boston) may really benefit from a friendly rivalry.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11