Mar 6, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Nashville Predators defenseman (and guy who earned my eternal respect by shooting a puck through a net during the Olympics) Shea Weber is dealing with an injury that he re-aggravated in a loss against the Detroit Red Wings last night. The Nashville Tennessean reports that Weber probably hurt his “left hand or arm” during the first period of Friday’s game.
A hit from behind by Tomas Holmstrom knocked Weber to the ice in the corner. While Weber was down, his left arm or hand came into contact with the skate of Detroit forward Johan Franzen, and Weber was seen shaking his left hand in aggravation seconds afterward.
The Predators are listing Weber with an upper-body injury.
“It was something that started (on Thursday) and I started playing through it, but I reaggravated it (Friday),” Weber said.
According to the report, Barry Trotz said that Weber is currently day-to-day and could play against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday. We’ll keep an eye on this situation as the Predators claim that they may know more about it sometime today. Obviously, losing an elite defenseman like Weber would be a huge blow to Nashville’s playoff chances.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)