Mar 5, 2010, 4:01 PM EDT
In last night’s late game between the Montreal Canadiens and San Jose Sharks, Scott Nichol took a blatant late hit from Maxim Lapierre that sent him flying head first into the boards. The play started a scrum that saw the Sharks players grabbing any Habs player they could, out of obvious and justified anger. Nichol himself got off the ice, grabbing his shoulder, wondering why there hadn’t been a penalty called on the play.
Today, after it was reported that Nichol would miss 7-to10 days with the injury, the Sharks reacted to the play.
From Rob Blake, per David Pollak’s San Jose Sharks blog:
“That was a tough play. Those are the kinds of plays we don’t like to
see because he’s in a very vulnerable position. It was a tough call and
the refs were very open about that,” Blake said.
Coach Todd McLellan felt a bit differently.
“I’m a Shark and I’m going to have an opinion on the call,” the coach
said. “I think it was a missed call and a real dangerous play. I
wouldn’t want to see one of their players go in like that and I
certainly don’t want to see one of ours.”
The hit instantly sparked debate, especially considering there was no penalty called on the initial hit. That there were two roughing penalties eventually called in the ensuing scrum — not on Lapierre — was just the icing on the cake of frustration.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)