Mar 5, 2010, 10:44 AM EST
When the Capitals traded for Scott Walker, I don’t think they were banking on his scoring ability. He’s certainly had the ability to put the puck in the net in the past, hitting 25 goals twice in his career, but he hasn’t scored more than 20 since 2007 and has just eight goals the past two seasons.
Yet goal scoring is what they got Thursday night, and they were timely goals as well. With the Lightning and Capitals trading goals in the third period, Walker scored twice – including the game-winning goal.
“Sometimes I caught myself thinking a little bit, but it’s a learning
process and the guys on the bench, [Boyd Gordon] was great, [Jason]
Chimera was awesome,” Walker said afterwards. “They helped me out a lot
because that’s what you need when you are the new guy coming to the
“Most of you know my stats [just 3 goals coming into tonight’s game] and
they’re not a huge part of my game, but you like to chip in where you
can,” Walker said. “Definitely makes you feel good … It’s nice to chip
in and help out, but like I said, the two points are what I’m looking
for every night.”
This has been the week of new players making an instant difference with their new teams. We’ve yet to see the impact Alexei Ponikarovsky will have with Pittsburgh, and Lubomir Visnovsky will play his first game with Anaheim tomorrow. I’m expecting six points and three goals between the two; anything less will be wholly disappointing.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2