Mar 5, 2010, 4:54 PM EDT
You’d never expect for there to be a rivalry of sorts building between the Vancouver Canucks and the Chicago Blackhawks, but an emotion-filled playoff series can do that as well as the possibility the two teams will face off in the postseason against this year.
One part of the bad blood between the two teams is the head to head battle between Ryan Kesler and Andrew Ladd. Kesler called Ladd a coward during last year’s playoff series after Kesler’s nose was broken as the result of a big hit.
Yet despite the animosity among the players and the teams, Kesler says he’s not focused on Ladd this time around. From The Province:
“[Ladd] is probably going to hit me a couple of times tonight,”
Kesler said. “I’ll be ready for it.
“I’m not going to chirp at
all, I’m going to play my game.”
I’m sure there’s going to be some big hits tonight, but don’t expect any hair-pulling shenanigans. Hopefully though, we’ll see a hard-fought precursor to what should be a spirited playoff series if they do meet in a few months.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)