Mar 5, 2010, 5:34 PM EST
Without looking, name me the best Edmonton Oilers defenseman on the active roster. That’s healthy.
Yeah, that’s a tough one.
Especially now that not only is Sheldon Souray out for the season, but Ladislav Smid as well. Smid will require neck surgery on a injury that resulted from a big hit on January 20th. As far as Souray goes, he’s still not in the clear. From the Edmonton Sun:
Elsewhere on the medical front, Sheldon Souray remains in hospital
receiving treatment for an infection in his hand. Souray had a broken
bone repaired several weeks ago but has run into complications.
“It’s serious enough that they’re keeping him the hospital,” said
head coach Pat Quinn.
It’s a tough situation for the Oilers, who likely would have traded Souray at the deadline if it wasn’t for the infection. And let’s not let the human factor in this escape us; staying in the hospital for this long because of an infection is very serious. We hope nothing but a safe and full recovery for Souray.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)