Mar 4, 2010, 6:03 PM EDT
[Update] Alexei Ponikarovsky has received the work visa he needed to join the Pittsburgh Penguins and is now able to play for a team based in the United States. As expected, he will not play tonight for the Penguins but will be able to join them for practice tomorrow. He is expected to play on Saturday against Dallas.
Once again, it is insane how professional sports players are able to hurdle these issues this fast. Just the nature of the beast, I suppose. [End update]
The acquisition of Alexei Ponikarovsky by the the Pittsburgh Penguins is
arguably the best trade at the deadline. It’s at least close.
But he may not be able to even join his new team until Saturday, at
that’s at the earliest.
Ponikarovsky is Ukrainian and his work
visa is for Canada; he was able to play in the United States only as a
visiting team member. Now that he’s going to be based out Pittsburgh, he
and the team are having to scramble to get his visa adjusted so he can
actually play with the Penguins.
He will miss Thursday’s game and
would hopefully join the team to play Dallas on Saturday.
only imagine the red tape the team is trying to get through right now,
and a process that most likely takes weeks or even months for the
layperson is being compressed into just a few days.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 4
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 13
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 78
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (78)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control