Mar 4, 2010, 6:03 PM EDT
[Update] Alexei Ponikarovsky has received the work visa he needed to join the Pittsburgh Penguins and is now able to play for a team based in the United States. As expected, he will not play tonight for the Penguins but will be able to join them for practice tomorrow. He is expected to play on Saturday against Dallas.
Once again, it is insane how professional sports players are able to hurdle these issues this fast. Just the nature of the beast, I suppose. [End update]
The acquisition of Alexei Ponikarovsky by the the Pittsburgh Penguins is
arguably the best trade at the deadline. It’s at least close.
But he may not be able to even join his new team until Saturday, at
that’s at the earliest.
Ponikarovsky is Ukrainian and his work
visa is for Canada; he was able to play in the United States only as a
visiting team member. Now that he’s going to be based out Pittsburgh, he
and the team are having to scramble to get his visa adjusted so he can
actually play with the Penguins.
He will miss Thursday’s game and
would hopefully join the team to play Dallas on Saturday.
only imagine the red tape the team is trying to get through right now,
and a process that most likely takes weeks or even months for the
layperson is being compressed into just a few days.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)