Mar 4, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Not to be all Boston Bruins-centric today, but I’ve found their situation fairly riveting all season long. A team that was tops in the conference last season is now fighting for a playoff spot, and the Vezina-winning goaltender from last season has lost his starting spot this year. All while the offense sputters.
Tuukka Rask, perhaps the one reason the Bruins haven’t completely fallen apart this season, is now out with an undisclosed injury and is listed as day-to-day. Tim Thomas will get the start tonight, while Matt Dalton has been called up on a emergency basis to be the backup.
To make matters worse, leading scorer Patrice Bergeron is out for the second straight game with a groin injury. Bergeron was hurt during the Olympics, when he was just getting a few minutes a game as a 4th line player.
“It was okay and obviously not playing so much you get cold,” he
said. “I went out there for a PK and completely blew it and tweaked it.
Obviously in a gold medal game you don’t want to say too much and keep
it going, but you want to stay healthy for the Bruins as well.
“I need to be ready for the playoffs as well, so I told Donnie and it
was unfortunate. We’re trying to heal it with a big stretch coming up,
and I’m trying to heal it for the long run.”
So, as the Bruins enter their most crucial part of the season tonight, their top goalscorer and their top goaltender are both out.
At least they have Dennis Seidenberg now.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)