Mar 4, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Not to be all Boston Bruins-centric today, but I’ve found their situation fairly riveting all season long. A team that was tops in the conference last season is now fighting for a playoff spot, and the Vezina-winning goaltender from last season has lost his starting spot this year. All while the offense sputters.
Tuukka Rask, perhaps the one reason the Bruins haven’t completely fallen apart this season, is now out with an undisclosed injury and is listed as day-to-day. Tim Thomas will get the start tonight, while Matt Dalton has been called up on a emergency basis to be the backup.
To make matters worse, leading scorer Patrice Bergeron is out for the second straight game with a groin injury. Bergeron was hurt during the Olympics, when he was just getting a few minutes a game as a 4th line player.
“It was okay and obviously not playing so much you get cold,” he
said. “I went out there for a PK and completely blew it and tweaked it.
Obviously in a gold medal game you don’t want to say too much and keep
it going, but you want to stay healthy for the Bruins as well.
“I need to be ready for the playoffs as well, so I told Donnie and it
was unfortunate. We’re trying to heal it with a big stretch coming up,
and I’m trying to heal it for the long run.”
So, as the Bruins enter their most crucial part of the season tonight, their top goalscorer and their top goaltender are both out.
At least they have Dennis Seidenberg now.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)