Mar 4, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Not to be all Boston Bruins-centric today, but I’ve found their situation fairly riveting all season long. A team that was tops in the conference last season is now fighting for a playoff spot, and the Vezina-winning goaltender from last season has lost his starting spot this year. All while the offense sputters.
Tuukka Rask, perhaps the one reason the Bruins haven’t completely fallen apart this season, is now out with an undisclosed injury and is listed as day-to-day. Tim Thomas will get the start tonight, while Matt Dalton has been called up on a emergency basis to be the backup.
To make matters worse, leading scorer Patrice Bergeron is out for the second straight game with a groin injury. Bergeron was hurt during the Olympics, when he was just getting a few minutes a game as a 4th line player.
“It was okay and obviously not playing so much you get cold,” he
said. “I went out there for a PK and completely blew it and tweaked it.
Obviously in a gold medal game you don’t want to say too much and keep
it going, but you want to stay healthy for the Bruins as well.
“I need to be ready for the playoffs as well, so I told Donnie and it
was unfortunate. We’re trying to heal it with a big stretch coming up,
and I’m trying to heal it for the long run.”
So, as the Bruins enter their most crucial part of the season tonight, their top goalscorer and their top goaltender are both out.
At least they have Dennis Seidenberg now.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)