Mar 4, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s always interesting the day after the trade deadline to hear players’ reactions to being traded, both in how they feel about moving and about how they found out. Sometimes a player is told ahead of time that he’s most likely going to get traded, but in the case of former-LA Kings forward Teddy Purcell, he was caught completely off guard.
“When we saw the report the Kings had picked up Halpern, we assumed it
was for a draft pick, then they came back a few minutes later saying
they had more info on the trade and that I was traded,” Purcell said
after the Lightning’s morning skate Thursday in Washington. “It was a
little strange. It’s the first time I’ve ever been traded, and it was a
little awkward at first being there with all the guys. But then we
started joking about it and had a good laugh.”
It’s not completely surprising that the Kings would trade with Tampa Bay for a veteran forward as they prepare for the playoffs, but it is surprising that they gave up Purcell in the process. Purcell has had a bit of a slow start with the Kings (8-17-25 in 91 games) but he’s been a menace in the AHL and he’s a 24 year old with nothing but potential.
And now it seems that Purcell may have a chance to play on a line with Vincent Lecavalier and Ryan Malone, a nice turnaround for the young forward. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay traded away a veteran but one that’s had injury issues the past two seasons.
I can imagine the Lightning’s side of the conversation getting the deal done:
“Hmm…Halpern? Well, we’d like a 2nd rounder at least”
“Well, we’d go with a lower pick but we need another player as well.”
“Purcell? Why uhh…..I guess that’s okay. AND a third rounder? Tough bargain, but deal.”
Hangs up phone…
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 52
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 20
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead