Mar 4, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
There are two sides to this argument. For one, I love watching Olympic hockey and I don’t think there is any greater thrill than to watch my favorite NHL players suit it up for their country and lay it all on the line.
On the other side of that though, is the chance that some very important players miss significant time in games that are ultimately meaningless for NHL teams. We’ve already covered that Patrice Bergeron is struggling with a groin injury that he “blew out” while playing through pain against the Americans. Now that pesky lower-body injury that Marian Gaborik suffered will apparently not only keep him out tonight against the Penguins, but could likely keep him out over the weekend as well (subscription required).
Both Gaborik and Bergeron are the leading scorers on their respective teams, and are vital in the race for a playoff spot. Bergeron’s injury may be a bit more serious, but these ‘day-to-day’ injuries that tend to linger from one game to the next can turn into ‘week-to-week’.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)