Mar 4, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
View imageIt’s been a tough night for Marc-Andre Fleury against the New York Rangers. In his first game back after the two-week Olympic break (where he spent two weeks with his hands in his pockets, watched his teammates play and then won an Olympic gold medal), he allowed four goals on twelve shots and was pulled just 12:49 into the second period.
Immediately after taking Fleury too his spot at the end of the bench, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby — you may have heard of him — joined his goaltender and had a lengthy conversation with the struggling netminder.
Say what you will — love him or hate him — but Crosby has done nothing but prove time and again that he is the unquestioned leader on the Penguins, and he deserves that “C” on his chest. You don’t normally see a captain have a talk like that with a goaltender in the middle of the game, but it was needed at the time and Crosby did what he had to get his goaltender’s mind back in the right place. We won’t know if that helped Fleury tonight, but that’s the sort of gesture that is noticed by teammates and raises their respect level just a bit more.
Two minutes later, the Penguins scored to get back with 4-3 and make it a game again. Crosby had the primary assist.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)