Mar 4, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
View imageIt’s been a tough night for Marc-Andre Fleury against the New York Rangers. In his first game back after the two-week Olympic break (where he spent two weeks with his hands in his pockets, watched his teammates play and then won an Olympic gold medal), he allowed four goals on twelve shots and was pulled just 12:49 into the second period.
Immediately after taking Fleury too his spot at the end of the bench, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby — you may have heard of him — joined his goaltender and had a lengthy conversation with the struggling netminder.
Say what you will — love him or hate him — but Crosby has done nothing but prove time and again that he is the unquestioned leader on the Penguins, and he deserves that “C” on his chest. You don’t normally see a captain have a talk like that with a goaltender in the middle of the game, but it was needed at the time and Crosby did what he had to get his goaltender’s mind back in the right place. We won’t know if that helped Fleury tonight, but that’s the sort of gesture that is noticed by teammates and raises their respect level just a bit more.
Two minutes later, the Penguins scored to get back with 4-3 and make it a game again. Crosby had the primary assist.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)