Mar 4, 2010, 8:55 PM EST
View imageIt’s been a tough night for Marc-Andre Fleury against the New York Rangers. In his first game back after the two-week Olympic break (where he spent two weeks with his hands in his pockets, watched his teammates play and then won an Olympic gold medal), he allowed four goals on twelve shots and was pulled just 12:49 into the second period.
Immediately after taking Fleury too his spot at the end of the bench, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby — you may have heard of him — joined his goaltender and had a lengthy conversation with the struggling netminder.
Say what you will — love him or hate him — but Crosby has done nothing but prove time and again that he is the unquestioned leader on the Penguins, and he deserves that “C” on his chest. You don’t normally see a captain have a talk like that with a goaltender in the middle of the game, but it was needed at the time and Crosby did what he had to get his goaltender’s mind back in the right place. We won’t know if that helped Fleury tonight, but that’s the sort of gesture that is noticed by teammates and raises their respect level just a bit more.
Two minutes later, the Penguins scored to get back with 4-3 and make it a game again. Crosby had the primary assist.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)