Mar 4, 2010, 8:55 PM EST
View imageIt’s been a tough night for Marc-Andre Fleury against the New York Rangers. In his first game back after the two-week Olympic break (where he spent two weeks with his hands in his pockets, watched his teammates play and then won an Olympic gold medal), he allowed four goals on twelve shots and was pulled just 12:49 into the second period.
Immediately after taking Fleury too his spot at the end of the bench, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby — you may have heard of him — joined his goaltender and had a lengthy conversation with the struggling netminder.
Say what you will — love him or hate him — but Crosby has done nothing but prove time and again that he is the unquestioned leader on the Penguins, and he deserves that “C” on his chest. You don’t normally see a captain have a talk like that with a goaltender in the middle of the game, but it was needed at the time and Crosby did what he had to get his goaltender’s mind back in the right place. We won’t know if that helped Fleury tonight, but that’s the sort of gesture that is noticed by teammates and raises their respect level just a bit more.
Two minutes later, the Penguins scored to get back with 4-3 and make it a game again. Crosby had the primary assist.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)