Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets activated folk hero and rugged defenseman Mike Commodore from the injured reserve today.
Commodore first became a fan favorite because of his friendly attitude and ridiculous red semi-afro during the Calgary Flames’ unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He then warmed many hockey hearts as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes (it is still a little strange to write that).
He’s probably most famous for the infamous photo of him laying in a bed, in his boxers, with a bunch of money. (Warning: the photo likely fails “NSFW” status but it might be “NSFYR” – not safe for your reputation.)
Apparently, many hockey fans thought that Commodore was trying to show off his wealth after signing a 5 year, $18.75 million contract with the Blue Jackets. The photo was actually found on his friend’s Facebook account (remember kids: don’t leave embarrassing photos tagged). As he told Puck Daddy, the picture was taken before he was traded to Ottawa and was meant to tease a friend after Commodore won a Super Bowl bet.
“That picture is probably from about three weeks after the Super Bowl party last year that I had in Carolina. We had a team pool, and I ended up winning the pool,” said Commodore, who said he pocketed $3,000 in winnings. “So that money was from the Super Bowl. I won the money, I had the cash, I went home, I was lying in bed … I was just clowning around and kind of threw the money up. My buddy took a picture, and that was the end of it.… I don’t usually spend my evenings in briefs throwing money around my bedroom.”
So, there you have it. Blue Jackets fans can go back to watching Commodore play tough D without fear of seeing Commodore in his undies. Allegedly.
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 0
- Alzner on Washington’s woes: ‘The killer instinct isn’t there right now’ 3
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 46
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Minnesota lands Moulson, McCormick from Buffalo (Updated) 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld