Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets activated folk hero and rugged defenseman Mike Commodore from the injured reserve today.
Commodore first became a fan favorite because of his friendly attitude and ridiculous red semi-afro during the Calgary Flames’ unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He then warmed many hockey hearts as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes (it is still a little strange to write that).
He’s probably most famous for the infamous photo of him laying in a bed, in his boxers, with a bunch of money. (Warning: the photo likely fails “NSFW” status but it might be “NSFYR” – not safe for your reputation.)
Apparently, many hockey fans thought that Commodore was trying to show off his wealth after signing a 5 year, $18.75 million contract with the Blue Jackets. The photo was actually found on his friend’s Facebook account (remember kids: don’t leave embarrassing photos tagged). As he told Puck Daddy, the picture was taken before he was traded to Ottawa and was meant to tease a friend after Commodore won a Super Bowl bet.
“That picture is probably from about three weeks after the Super Bowl party last year that I had in Carolina. We had a team pool, and I ended up winning the pool,” said Commodore, who said he pocketed $3,000 in winnings. “So that money was from the Super Bowl. I won the money, I had the cash, I went home, I was lying in bed … I was just clowning around and kind of threw the money up. My buddy took a picture, and that was the end of it.… I don’t usually spend my evenings in briefs throwing money around my bedroom.”
So, there you have it. Blue Jackets fans can go back to watching Commodore play tough D without fear of seeing Commodore in his undies. Allegedly.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld