Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets activated folk hero and rugged defenseman Mike Commodore from the injured reserve today.
Commodore first became a fan favorite because of his friendly attitude and ridiculous red semi-afro during the Calgary Flames’ unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He then warmed many hockey hearts as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes (it is still a little strange to write that).
He’s probably most famous for the infamous photo of him laying in a bed, in his boxers, with a bunch of money. (Warning: the photo likely fails “NSFW” status but it might be “NSFYR” – not safe for your reputation.)
Apparently, many hockey fans thought that Commodore was trying to show off his wealth after signing a 5 year, $18.75 million contract with the Blue Jackets. The photo was actually found on his friend’s Facebook account (remember kids: don’t leave embarrassing photos tagged). As he told Puck Daddy, the picture was taken before he was traded to Ottawa and was meant to tease a friend after Commodore won a Super Bowl bet.
“That picture is probably from about three weeks after the Super Bowl party last year that I had in Carolina. We had a team pool, and I ended up winning the pool,” said Commodore, who said he pocketed $3,000 in winnings. “So that money was from the Super Bowl. I won the money, I had the cash, I went home, I was lying in bed … I was just clowning around and kind of threw the money up. My buddy took a picture, and that was the end of it.… I don’t usually spend my evenings in briefs throwing money around my bedroom.”
So, there you have it. Blue Jackets fans can go back to watching Commodore play tough D without fear of seeing Commodore in his undies. Allegedly.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 13
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 9
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 52
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (53)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (41)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)