Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets activated folk hero and rugged defenseman Mike Commodore from the injured reserve today.
Commodore first became a fan favorite because of his friendly attitude and ridiculous red semi-afro during the Calgary Flames’ unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He then warmed many hockey hearts as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes (it is still a little strange to write that).
He’s probably most famous for the infamous photo of him laying in a bed, in his boxers, with a bunch of money. (Warning: the photo likely fails “NSFW” status but it might be “NSFYR” – not safe for your reputation.)
Apparently, many hockey fans thought that Commodore was trying to show off his wealth after signing a 5 year, $18.75 million contract with the Blue Jackets. The photo was actually found on his friend’s Facebook account (remember kids: don’t leave embarrassing photos tagged). As he told Puck Daddy, the picture was taken before he was traded to Ottawa and was meant to tease a friend after Commodore won a Super Bowl bet.
“That picture is probably from about three weeks after the Super Bowl party last year that I had in Carolina. We had a team pool, and I ended up winning the pool,” said Commodore, who said he pocketed $3,000 in winnings. “So that money was from the Super Bowl. I won the money, I had the cash, I went home, I was lying in bed … I was just clowning around and kind of threw the money up. My buddy took a picture, and that was the end of it.… I don’t usually spend my evenings in briefs throwing money around my bedroom.”
So, there you have it. Blue Jackets fans can go back to watching Commodore play tough D without fear of seeing Commodore in his undies. Allegedly.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld