Mar 4, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets activated folk hero and rugged defenseman Mike Commodore from the injured reserve today.
Commodore first became a fan favorite because of his friendly attitude and ridiculous red semi-afro during the Calgary Flames’ unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He then warmed many hockey hearts as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes (it is still a little strange to write that).
He’s probably most famous for the infamous photo of him laying in a bed, in his boxers, with a bunch of money. (Warning: the photo likely fails “NSFW” status but it might be “NSFYR” – not safe for your reputation.)
Apparently, many hockey fans thought that Commodore was trying to show off his wealth after signing a 5 year, $18.75 million contract with the Blue Jackets. The photo was actually found on his friend’s Facebook account (remember kids: don’t leave embarrassing photos tagged). As he told Puck Daddy, the picture was taken before he was traded to Ottawa and was meant to tease a friend after Commodore won a Super Bowl bet.
“That picture is probably from about three weeks after the Super Bowl party last year that I had in Carolina. We had a team pool, and I ended up winning the pool,” said Commodore, who said he pocketed $3,000 in winnings. “So that money was from the Super Bowl. I won the money, I had the cash, I went home, I was lying in bed … I was just clowning around and kind of threw the money up. My buddy took a picture, and that was the end of it.… I don’t usually spend my evenings in briefs throwing money around my bedroom.”
So, there you have it. Blue Jackets fans can go back to watching Commodore play tough D without fear of seeing Commodore in his undies. Allegedly.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 7
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld