Mar 4, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
It seems like the Carolina Hurricanes traded everyone but Ray Whitney.
The Canes, facing salary cap issues and poor team on the ice, entered the deadline with a need to rebuild and offload salary and Ray Whitney was the one player everyone knew was on his way out. Except there was a snag.
No one wanted to pay what Carolina was asking for.
Here’s what is interesting about that fact*. Yesterday, as the trade deadline was approaching, nearly every rumor mill on the internet reported that the issue with a potential Whitney trade was that he would only approve a trade if he received a contract extension and that was what was holding back a deal. Except according to GM Jim Rutherford, they never got far enough yesterday for Whitney to even have a chance to say no.
“There were offers for him,” Rutherford said. “The only offer I took to
Ray was back a month ago when we had a deal with a Western Conference
team. That didn’t go anywhere. But I didn’t take any deals to him
[Wednesday]. This was the organization’s decision.”
Whitney is the best player for the Hurricanes and would have given the team one hell of a return had they been able to trade him. There’s no doubt that Rutherford was asking top dollar for Whitney and with the market absurdly dry yesterday the teams just weren’t offering what he’d want to give him up.
The Hurricanes have a wealth of picks in this year’s draft and are poised for a prime rebuilding opportunity. Imagine what they could have done with a Ray Whitney trade.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)