Mar 3, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
In a move that must have produced screams of unbridled agony from LA Kings blogger Rudy Kelly, the Anaheim Ducks moved Team USA defenseman Ryan Whitney to the Edmonton Oilers for talented but oft-injured defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky and a sixth round draft pick.
“So [Oilers GM Steve Tambellini] calls Anaheim. “Hey,” he says. “You guys were asking about Lubomir Visnovsky earlier? Well, I think maybe we could make this work.”
Bob Murray, on the other end, is nobody’s fool. He aims high and works his way down. “So how about Ryan Whitney?” says Bob. “He’s younger, bigger, and he makes less.” He’s also worse. Considerably worse. Epically worse.Steve Tambellini glances at the clock. It’s 12:45, Mountain Standard Time. He knows that if he doesn’t pull the trigger on something his press conference will be awkward, or it would be if Edmonton’s hockey media wasn’t competing to get him into the sack.“Throw in a sixth-round pick,” Tambellini says.Bob Murray spits out his coffee.And we’re the ones who get burned.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead