Mar 3, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
At some point, Twitter morphed from what seemed like a glorified extension of Facebook’s status updates to the most essential, lightning-fast source of news available. Calling it a revolution isn’t hasty, it’s behind the times. The platform has been integrated into the way we follow the sport.
It’s simply part of the establishment now, so to speak. Just think about this fact: Darren Pang – Darren Pang! - spoke about his Twitter account during TSN’s trade deadline coverage. There will be a time when unlikely Twitter accounts lose their shock value, but that time hasn’t come just yet
Now, this isn’t by any means breaking news. Not when you consider the fact that Puck Daddy’s 2009 year in review was dominated by stories with Twitter roots.
“If nothing else, 2009 was the year when social media and the hyper-fast aggregation of Twitter changed the way fans consume hockey news.
You read about goals before seeing them scored on television seconds later. Trades, signings and draft picks were broken on Twitter; first by fans, then journalists, then eventually the teams themselves. Agents used it to pimp their clients. PR professionals used it to fact-check media.
Like the proliferation of blogs before it, Twitter had its clumsy moments of growth as a new form of mass media. Misinformation could be as prevalent as solid information. One hundred-and-forty-character limits led to garbled messages and constant clarifications …”
Really, you should swallow your pride and indulge your inner hockey fanatic. Then make sure to follow Pro Hockey Talk. (Not to say that we’re the only source of news.) That’s why you should follow … our lists! Mouhahaha.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 9
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6