Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada relays that Scotty Bowman has told FAN that the Chicago Blackhawks are not in the market for a goaltender.
It’s going to be both fun and insanely scary to see Blackhawks fans’ reaction when Chicago starts falling apart in the postseason because of goaltending. While the Blackhawks have been one of the best in the NHL all season long in teams goals-against, you have to wonder how much of that is due to the high level of defense playing in front of the goaltenders.
Antti Niemi is certainly solid and Cristobal Huet has been…ok. People will point to Huet’s 2.31 GAA and say “See!!!! He’s doing good! He’ll be fine!”
But Huet has just a .902 save percentage and Niemi has a .910. Not exactly elite level and is a much better example of the level of goaltending Chicago is hoping to get to the Stanley Cup with. While there aren’t exactly world beaters available on the market, you’ve still got some good options: Jaroslav Halak, Tomas Vokoun, maybe even Dwayne Roloson.
All have to be better options than Niemi or Huet, right? Surely this is just a case of the GM blowing some smoke on deadline day, not wanting to seem desperate.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39