Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada relays that Scotty Bowman has told FAN that the Chicago Blackhawks are not in the market for a goaltender.
It’s going to be both fun and insanely scary to see Blackhawks fans’ reaction when Chicago starts falling apart in the postseason because of goaltending. While the Blackhawks have been one of the best in the NHL all season long in teams goals-against, you have to wonder how much of that is due to the high level of defense playing in front of the goaltenders.
Antti Niemi is certainly solid and Cristobal Huet has been…ok. People will point to Huet’s 2.31 GAA and say “See!!!! He’s doing good! He’ll be fine!”
But Huet has just a .902 save percentage and Niemi has a .910. Not exactly elite level and is a much better example of the level of goaltending Chicago is hoping to get to the Stanley Cup with. While there aren’t exactly world beaters available on the market, you’ve still got some good options: Jaroslav Halak, Tomas Vokoun, maybe even Dwayne Roloson.
All have to be better options than Niemi or Huet, right? Surely this is just a case of the GM blowing some smoke on deadline day, not wanting to seem desperate.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)