Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 AM EST
Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada relays that Scotty Bowman has told FAN that the Chicago Blackhawks are not in the market for a goaltender.
It’s going to be both fun and insanely scary to see Blackhawks fans’ reaction when Chicago starts falling apart in the postseason because of goaltending. While the Blackhawks have been one of the best in the NHL all season long in teams goals-against, you have to wonder how much of that is due to the high level of defense playing in front of the goaltenders.
Antti Niemi is certainly solid and Cristobal Huet has been…ok. People will point to Huet’s 2.31 GAA and say “See!!!! He’s doing good! He’ll be fine!”
But Huet has just a .902 save percentage and Niemi has a .910. Not exactly elite level and is a much better example of the level of goaltending Chicago is hoping to get to the Stanley Cup with. While there aren’t exactly world beaters available on the market, you’ve still got some good options: Jaroslav Halak, Tomas Vokoun, maybe even Dwayne Roloson.
All have to be better options than Niemi or Huet, right? Surely this is just a case of the GM blowing some smoke on deadline day, not wanting to seem desperate.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8