Mar 2, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
According to Ben Wright of the Blueland Blog and Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chris Chelios has officially been signed by the Atlanta Thrashers and immediately placed on waivers.
Chelios, 48, has been playing for the Thrashers’ AHL affiliate in
Chicago this season, although he was not property of the Thrashers. He
signs with the Thrashers as an unrestricted free agent. He appeared in
44 games for the Wolves this season with five goals and 16 assists. He
was also a plus-35.
Chelios must clear waivers and may remain in Chicago.
What’s interesting about all this is the reports that Chelios signed as a UFA, despite supposedly signing with Chicago on a professional tryout contract (PTO) on February 19. Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see if another team does in fact claim Chelios. It’s doubtful, but the 48 year-old does lead the AHL in plus-minus this season.
Original post after the jump…
Update, 10:55 a.m. – RDS is now
reporting that the Thrashers have signed Chelios. From the
defenseman Chris Chelios will sign an agreement Tuesday with the Atlanta
Thrashers. His name will be placed on waivers, but
will remain with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL for now.
It appears the confusion may be over the original Chicago Wolves
report that Chelios had signed a third PTO. According to AHL rules, a
player can only sign two consecutive PTO before having to sign a
Standard Player Contract, essentially a basic AHL contract.
Original post –
It’s amazing how one simple sentence can set off a semi-firestorm. Of
At the bottom of an Associated Press (posted on
Sportsnet.ca) article reporting that Evgeny Artyukhin to Atlanta trade,
there is one simple sentence that has folks a bit confused this morning.
Meanwhile, the Thrashers have signed Chris Chelios, who played with the
Does this mean that the Atlanta Thrashers have signed a 48 year old
defenseman, who is happily playing hockey in the moonlight of his career
with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL? Are they seriously that hard up for
help on the blue line?
still sorting through the details on this one, but it seems as if the
Thrashers signed Chelios to a basic AHL contract because of a PTO snafu.
After doing some digging, it appears there may be a mixup of sorts.
Ben Wright, team reporter from the Thashers, was caught a
bit off guard.
reporting that the Thrashers have signed Chris Chelios. Looking into it,
but I’d expect him to stay in Chicago for now if true
Chelios signed with the Chicago Wolves this past fall on a
Professional Tryout Contract (PTO), which is essentially a 25-game
contract for at least league minimum. He signed another one when that
expired and signed a third, as reported on the Wolves’ website, on
February 19. While it’s certainly a possibility that the Thrashers
picked up Chelios for depth purposes, this could be a case of the
Sportsnet report mistaking the third PTO for an Atlanta contract.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)