Mar 2, 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
As we approach the trade deadline we’re starting to see the waiver
wire heat up, as expected. With teams needing to make room on their
roster both overall and salary wise, its a great opportunity for others
to pick up useful help without having to give up anything via trade.
These are usually veterans and pending UFA’s, who most likely wouldn’t
bring much value via trade.
Here are the players placed on waivers today:
Ryan Oulahen (Detroit),
Enver Lisin (New York Rangers)
Aaron Voros (New York Rangers),
Anders Eriksson (Phoenix),
Chris Chelios (Atlanta).
Ryan Jones (Nashville),
John Grahame (Colorado)
Perhaps the biggest surprise on this list
is Ryan Jones, the gritty winger from Nashville. He’s exactly the sort
of player who can add needed depth and energy, and would be great for a
playoff contender. It’s doubtful he’ll get very far on waivers, however.
Jones going on waivers most likely signals the Predators gearing up for another trade attempt, after the Dan Hamhuis trade attempts last night apparently fell apart.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 19
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39