Mar 2, 2010, 12:32 PM EST
As we approach the trade deadline we’re starting to see the waiver
wire heat up, as expected. With teams needing to make room on their
roster both overall and salary wise, its a great opportunity for others
to pick up useful help without having to give up anything via trade.
These are usually veterans and pending UFA’s, who most likely wouldn’t
bring much value via trade.
Here are the players placed on waivers today:
Ryan Oulahen (Detroit),
Enver Lisin (New York Rangers)
Aaron Voros (New York Rangers),
Anders Eriksson (Phoenix),
Chris Chelios (Atlanta).
Ryan Jones (Nashville),
John Grahame (Colorado)
Perhaps the biggest surprise on this list
is Ryan Jones, the gritty winger from Nashville. He’s exactly the sort
of player who can add needed depth and energy, and would be great for a
playoff contender. It’s doubtful he’ll get very far on waivers, however.
Jones going on waivers most likely signals the Predators gearing up for another trade attempt, after the Dan Hamhuis trade attempts last night apparently fell apart.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 45
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)