Mar 2, 2010, 6:30 AM EDT
Rink to Rink is a daily recap of all the previous day’s NHL
action. Just one game last night; twelve tonight.
Wings 3, Colorado Avalanche 2: If there was any fear that there would
be a letdown in hockey action immediately following the Olympic games,
well the Red Wings and Avalanhce did their best to quell them. It
certainly looked as though the Wings would stomp all over the Avs from
the start of the game, as they burst out to a 2-0 lead with goals by
Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
Yet some incredible
goaltending by Craig Anderson a big surge by Colorado tied the game in
the second period. It might have taken the Avs a period or so to wake
up, but when they did the game instantly became an exciting start to the
post-Olympic NHL action.
Of course, what would an Red Wings game
be without a controversial disallowed goal? A goaltender interference
penalty on Tomas Holmstrom (who else?) negated a go-ahead goal for the
Red Wings in the second period, although it seemed as thought the call
by Kerry Fraser was iffy at best.
In the third, yet another
insane puck-handling show by Pavel Datsyuk led to Nicklas Lidstrom’s
game-winning goal on the power play. The Avs now hold onto the 8th spot
in the West, although there are five teams within four points of each
other gathered from 7th to the 11th spots.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)