Mar 2, 2010, 6:30 AM EDT
Rink to Rink is a daily recap of all the previous day’s NHL
action. Just one game last night; twelve tonight.
Wings 3, Colorado Avalanche 2: If there was any fear that there would
be a letdown in hockey action immediately following the Olympic games,
well the Red Wings and Avalanhce did their best to quell them. It
certainly looked as though the Wings would stomp all over the Avs from
the start of the game, as they burst out to a 2-0 lead with goals by
Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
Yet some incredible
goaltending by Craig Anderson a big surge by Colorado tied the game in
the second period. It might have taken the Avs a period or so to wake
up, but when they did the game instantly became an exciting start to the
post-Olympic NHL action.
Of course, what would an Red Wings game
be without a controversial disallowed goal? A goaltender interference
penalty on Tomas Holmstrom (who else?) negated a go-ahead goal for the
Red Wings in the second period, although it seemed as thought the call
by Kerry Fraser was iffy at best.
In the third, yet another
insane puck-handling show by Pavel Datsyuk led to Nicklas Lidstrom’s
game-winning goal on the power play. The Avs now hold onto the 8th spot
in the West, although there are five teams within four points of each
other gathered from 7th to the 11th spots.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)