Mar 2, 2010, 6:30 AM EDT
Rink to Rink is a daily recap of all the previous day’s NHL
action. Just one game last night; twelve tonight.
Wings 3, Colorado Avalanche 2: If there was any fear that there would
be a letdown in hockey action immediately following the Olympic games,
well the Red Wings and Avalanhce did their best to quell them. It
certainly looked as though the Wings would stomp all over the Avs from
the start of the game, as they burst out to a 2-0 lead with goals by
Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
Yet some incredible
goaltending by Craig Anderson a big surge by Colorado tied the game in
the second period. It might have taken the Avs a period or so to wake
up, but when they did the game instantly became an exciting start to the
post-Olympic NHL action.
Of course, what would an Red Wings game
be without a controversial disallowed goal? A goaltender interference
penalty on Tomas Holmstrom (who else?) negated a go-ahead goal for the
Red Wings in the second period, although it seemed as thought the call
by Kerry Fraser was iffy at best.
In the third, yet another
insane puck-handling show by Pavel Datsyuk led to Nicklas Lidstrom’s
game-winning goal on the power play. The Avs now hold onto the 8th spot
in the West, although there are five teams within four points of each
other gathered from 7th to the 11th spots.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)