Mar 2, 2010, 6:30 AM EDT
Rink to Rink is a daily recap of all the previous day’s NHL
action. Just one game last night; twelve tonight.
Wings 3, Colorado Avalanche 2: If there was any fear that there would
be a letdown in hockey action immediately following the Olympic games,
well the Red Wings and Avalanhce did their best to quell them. It
certainly looked as though the Wings would stomp all over the Avs from
the start of the game, as they burst out to a 2-0 lead with goals by
Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
Yet some incredible
goaltending by Craig Anderson a big surge by Colorado tied the game in
the second period. It might have taken the Avs a period or so to wake
up, but when they did the game instantly became an exciting start to the
post-Olympic NHL action.
Of course, what would an Red Wings game
be without a controversial disallowed goal? A goaltender interference
penalty on Tomas Holmstrom (who else?) negated a go-ahead goal for the
Red Wings in the second period, although it seemed as thought the call
by Kerry Fraser was iffy at best.
In the third, yet another
insane puck-handling show by Pavel Datsyuk led to Nicklas Lidstrom’s
game-winning goal on the power play. The Avs now hold onto the 8th spot
in the West, although there are five teams within four points of each
other gathered from 7th to the 11th spots.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)