Mar 1, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
This is the silly season folks. With the trade deadline upon us, there’s all sorts of rumors starting to float about as everyone jockeys to be the first to find out who traded who to where. That being said, we’ll do our best to sort out the rumors and present them as cleanly as we can with getting too involved in the mess.
With the Nashville Predators supposedly gearing up for a big trade announcement, word has come to ProHockeyTalk that their partner could be with with the Edmonton Oilers, who are expected to make a flurry of moves over the next few days.
Right now it seems that Denis Grebeshkov could be headed to Nashville for a high draft pick. We’ll have an update when available.
Update: TSN has confirmed, Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville in exchange for a second-round draft pick.
Two initial thoughts on the trade… First, the Oilers are set to play the Predators tomorrow night and the two teams are together in Nashville. So on one hand, it’s an easy trip for Grebeshkov who can take a stroll to the locker room on the other side of the hallway and join his new team. He’s going to add some much-needed punch to the Predators’ blue line and give the power play some actual juice from point.
Second, this seems to clear the way for a Dan Hamhuis trade, who is scheduled to become a free agent this summer. GM David Poile has been looking to acquire a veteran defensemen before even thinking to trade Hamhuis, and Grebeshkov certainly fills that role.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)