Mar 1, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
This is the silly season folks. With the trade deadline upon us, there’s all sorts of rumors starting to float about as everyone jockeys to be the first to find out who traded who to where. That being said, we’ll do our best to sort out the rumors and present them as cleanly as we can with getting too involved in the mess.
With the Nashville Predators supposedly gearing up for a big trade announcement, word has come to ProHockeyTalk that their partner could be with with the Edmonton Oilers, who are expected to make a flurry of moves over the next few days.
Right now it seems that Denis Grebeshkov could be headed to Nashville for a high draft pick. We’ll have an update when available.
Update: TSN has confirmed, Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville in exchange for a second-round draft pick.
Two initial thoughts on the trade… First, the Oilers are set to play the Predators tomorrow night and the two teams are together in Nashville. So on one hand, it’s an easy trip for Grebeshkov who can take a stroll to the locker room on the other side of the hallway and join his new team. He’s going to add some much-needed punch to the Predators’ blue line and give the power play some actual juice from point.
Second, this seems to clear the way for a Dan Hamhuis trade, who is scheduled to become a free agent this summer. GM David Poile has been looking to acquire a veteran defensemen before even thinking to trade Hamhuis, and Grebeshkov certainly fills that role.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 5
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)