Mar 1, 2010, 8:49 AM EST
It’s tough to argue that the break is good for the league. Sure, it
gives teams a chance to heal up from a long season of wear and tear but
hockey is not like football; you can’t just take a two-week break and
hope to play at the exact same level you were heading into the time off.
Heck, teams have had to have mini-training camps just to get back into
the routine of playing together.
Of course, the NHL players will all say they think they should play
in the Olympics. For many, wearing a gold medal and representing their
country is the highest honor they’ll ever achieve in their career and
some even say that winning the gold medal is better than hoisting the
The two coaches in yesterday’s game, both NHL coaches and both now
scrambling to get back with their teams and readjust as quick as
possible, believe that the NHL players should be a part of the Olympic
“We do a pretty good job of stealing players from other countries and
I think their fans deserve a chance to see a tournament like this,”
said Team USA head coach Ron Wilson.
“I think the best players in the world should have an opportunity to
compete in the Olympics,” said Babcock. “This is a great showcase
event and players are thrilled to be here. I’m a big fan of the ice
surface being the same as well because think the game is so much
When you think about Olympic hockey, there’s no question that if
professional players from around the world are competing then NHL
players should as well. Of course, a group of American college and AHL
players facing off against a Russian team armed from the KHL could turn
into another, actual “miracle” scenario.
Yet the Olympics should be about showcasing the best athletes of the
world pitted against each other. In that case, there’s no question the
NHL should send their players to Sochi in 2014.
After watching yesterday’s incredible game, it’s tough to argue
against it. But at the same time, NHL fans are restless. They’ve gone
two long weeks without their favorite team playing, just at the point in
the season when teams are gearing up for the playoffs.
So which are you? Are you in favor of the NHL players being in the
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)