Mar 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Alex Auld is perfectly happy to be in New York. The journeyman backup goaltender, now with his fifth team in three years, was picked up by the Rangers off re-entry waivers after the Dallas Stars decided to go with Marty Turco and Kari Lehtonen.
“Quite frankly, I am really excited,” said Auld, following his first practice with his new team on Sunday. “I have always loved this city and loved playing in the building. And it’s a chance to work with (Rangers goaltending coach) Benoit Allaire and play with one of the best goalies in the world. All those things are good. It’s really exciting.”
This was the perfect move for the Rangers, who have been riding Henrik Lundqvist with a combination of rookie goaltenders as his backup. The plan most likely will be to give Lundqvist some much-needed time off, especially after a disappointing finish in the Olympics.
Here’s an interesting piece of trivia for you: Since Auld was acquired on re-entry waivers, the Dallas Stars are paying half of his remaining salary for the season (which is just $227k). Therefore, the Stars are currently paying half the salary of two important role players for the Rangers as they gear up for the playoffs. The other?
Enter tasteless “sloppy” joke here.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)