Mar 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Alex Auld is perfectly happy to be in New York. The journeyman backup goaltender, now with his fifth team in three years, was picked up by the Rangers off re-entry waivers after the Dallas Stars decided to go with Marty Turco and Kari Lehtonen.
“Quite frankly, I am really excited,” said Auld, following his first practice with his new team on Sunday. “I have always loved this city and loved playing in the building. And it’s a chance to work with (Rangers goaltending coach) Benoit Allaire and play with one of the best goalies in the world. All those things are good. It’s really exciting.”
This was the perfect move for the Rangers, who have been riding Henrik Lundqvist with a combination of rookie goaltenders as his backup. The plan most likely will be to give Lundqvist some much-needed time off, especially after a disappointing finish in the Olympics.
Here’s an interesting piece of trivia for you: Since Auld was acquired on re-entry waivers, the Dallas Stars are paying half of his remaining salary for the season (which is just $227k). Therefore, the Stars are currently paying half the salary of two important role players for the Rangers as they gear up for the playoffs. The other?
Enter tasteless “sloppy” joke here.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)