Mar 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Alex Auld is perfectly happy to be in New York. The journeyman backup goaltender, now with his fifth team in three years, was picked up by the Rangers off re-entry waivers after the Dallas Stars decided to go with Marty Turco and Kari Lehtonen.
“Quite frankly, I am really excited,” said Auld, following his first practice with his new team on Sunday. “I have always loved this city and loved playing in the building. And it’s a chance to work with (Rangers goaltending coach) Benoit Allaire and play with one of the best goalies in the world. All those things are good. It’s really exciting.”
This was the perfect move for the Rangers, who have been riding Henrik Lundqvist with a combination of rookie goaltenders as his backup. The plan most likely will be to give Lundqvist some much-needed time off, especially after a disappointing finish in the Olympics.
Here’s an interesting piece of trivia for you: Since Auld was acquired on re-entry waivers, the Dallas Stars are paying half of his remaining salary for the season (which is just $227k). Therefore, the Stars are currently paying half the salary of two important role players for the Rangers as they gear up for the playoffs. The other?
Enter tasteless “sloppy” joke here.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)