Mar 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Alex Auld is perfectly happy to be in New York. The journeyman backup goaltender, now with his fifth team in three years, was picked up by the Rangers off re-entry waivers after the Dallas Stars decided to go with Marty Turco and Kari Lehtonen.
“Quite frankly, I am really excited,” said Auld, following his first practice with his new team on Sunday. “I have always loved this city and loved playing in the building. And it’s a chance to work with (Rangers goaltending coach) Benoit Allaire and play with one of the best goalies in the world. All those things are good. It’s really exciting.”
This was the perfect move for the Rangers, who have been riding Henrik Lundqvist with a combination of rookie goaltenders as his backup. The plan most likely will be to give Lundqvist some much-needed time off, especially after a disappointing finish in the Olympics.
Here’s an interesting piece of trivia for you: Since Auld was acquired on re-entry waivers, the Dallas Stars are paying half of his remaining salary for the season (which is just $227k). Therefore, the Stars are currently paying half the salary of two important role players for the Rangers as they gear up for the playoffs. The other?
Enter tasteless “sloppy” joke here.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)